Cancer? Worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is one of my male long fin gold danios. He is one of the first fish I got when I started the hobby in April. He was full grown when I got him, so I guess 8 months minimum. I've noticed this lump about a month ago and it has grown a lot in the weeks since. None of the other danios are sick and his behavior is normal. Except I don't see him spawn any more.

Temp 79
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 100 ( :(

We do weekly water changes every Tuesday and have been having trouble on and off with our nitrates being high and algae issues. I think I'm border line over stocked but I'm getting ready to move four big angels out and in to two breeding tanks so that should help.

Is this cancer? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410922254.526641.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

If it's not poking out one side or the other but kind of equal under the belly, could be an intestinal problem. Worms is usually loss of condition.

Does it eat much?

I lost a couple zebra danios to what I assumed was a tumor. They all ate and swam normally until the very end. It seems like they are more susceptible to this sort of thing.

If the fish is eating normally and behaving normally, this might be the case for you. I would try to make sure it's not just a case of fishy constipation and feed them some peas.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I lost a couple zebra danios to what I assumed was a tumor. They all ate and swam normally until the very end. It seems like they are more susceptible to this sort of thing.

If the fish is eating normally and behaving normally, this might be the case for you. I would try to make sure it's not just a case of fishy constipation and feed them some peas.

How did it look out of interest?

Feeding him peas is awesome advice, but he is in a heavily planted 180 and I don't think I can catch him to feed separate. How long did it take for him to die? He eats and swims normally. The only difference like I said is he won't spawn any more.

Sent from my iPhone

Delapool,

The fish started off looking similar to Emily's but as the tumor grew it became more asymmetrical.

Emily, if your other fish get a pea meal it won't be a bad thing. Everyone in there will get cleaned out but definitely not a bad thing. I do it occasionally in my tank

Delapool,

The fish started off looking similar to Emily's but as the tumor grew it became more asymmetrical.

Emily, if your other fish get a pea meal it won't be a bad thing. Everyone in there will get cleaned out but definitely not a bad thing. I do it occasionally in my tank

How many peas should I feed 17 danios, 7 angels, 7 khulis? Like half a small can?

Sent from my iPhone

Not nearly that many! For my tank (about 30 fish) I only use 5 or 6.

I boil the peas, then cut the skin off and chop the insides into little bitty pieces and then put them in.

Same rule applies... Whatever they eat in a couple minutes is enough food.

Back
Top Bottom