Canister filter for reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone. I have heard many times that canister filters are a no no for reef tanks, due to being nitrate factories. Is it possible that a canister filter can serve as some kind of reactor instead? I'm imagining stuffing it full of carbon or gfo. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can use a canister filter on a reef with no problems, if you clean it weekly, before it becomes a nitrate factory.
Yes, you can use GFO in them, but you'd need one with a really slow GPH flo through.
Running carbon through them is ok, and is done.
I use one because I dose SeaKlear phosphate remover, and it removes the bound phosphates from the tank.

I use a rapids pro it's a upright type of sump it kind of looks like a canister filter because its contained in one box , but in the shape of a computer CPU , I have since modified it to work like a normal sump removing the outer shell and placing the internal skimmer along with the 2 pumps working on a 3rd for the second tank into a 30g sump tank , possibly working on a bigger sump tank , I've been looking for a 60g tank to cover the 90g and the 40g
I think I found a tank for just a flat out trade for my 37g bow-front and stand , canisters work great but like anything need cleaning often , they keep the water sparkling ,

I was planning on losing my 2 freshwater tanks and getting a big reef tank. Losing the canister seemed like such a waste

this is how I converted mine now it's more of a real sump so far it seems to be working great.
img_3311140_0_eadbb2f5191185ba26e8d37544a952da.jpg

img_3311140_1_8c6929c02d7acbabe8b265f4683fd06f.jpg

img_3311140_2_0d4de0ec3bd83738dff570792edaaae1.jpg

been digging in all my parts boxes think I found a small circulation pump to circulate water in sump

Wow. That's cool. Looks complicated.

Back
Top Bottom