Canister filter just die?!?! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
it is a Eheim 2215 and i have only had it since the end of june!

it just stoped, no noises, not suction....

it has been noisy lately. running fine most of the time, but then making a noise like it has an air bubble or something, only would last a few min...any ideas on how i can fix it?

first thing i would check is the impellor. make sure the blades don't free wheel without the core turning.

rkilling1 said:
first thing i would check is the impellor. make sure the blades don't free wheel without the core turning.
nothing turns, i drained it, took the top off and pluged it in, nothing turned, no vibrations...not indication that anything was happening :(

well like anything electric, trace the path. Make sure none of the wires vibrated off. then make sure the motor spins. Is there a built in breaker? what about changing outlets to make sure it has juice.

cabezon said:
well like anything electric, trace the path. Make sure none of the wires vibrated off. then make sure the motor spins. Is there a built in breaker? what about changing outlets to make sure it has juice.
i got it to run again, thanks all....i just took it apart and rinsed it and then put it back together...i think i just got stoped up....since this is a planted tank, and dead leave/crap are inevitable can someone suggest something to perhaps keep it from getting sucked up, some sort of prefilter.

also since we are on the subject is this really enough filtration on a 75? i have been thinking of adding a HOB as well (hoping to "polish" the water a little more) though i do not wat too much surface disturbance to dissipate my CO2

I had a canister initially on my 75 gallon tank but it didn't last long. It was hard maintenance. I personally prefer the HOB. Much easier to clean and maintain and does an excellent job. Got a biowheel which I really like. Just make sure it's large enough for tank. If plants clog up filter takein try a nylon stocking piece over it.

The problem with an HoB, is that tehy are not the preffered type of filtration for a planted tank, the surface agitation contributes to a loss of CO2, of course, if you are injecting CO2, and dont mind the extra cost of having to inject more to replace what you are losing, then HOBs are fine. Most people I see prefer canisters on planted tanks, since they can use them with minimal surface agitation.

Back
Top Bottom