canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi fish friends any one uses a canister filter for a saltwater reef tank hearing it spike nitrates is it true or wet dry filter is better filter to use I'm still lost on filters I see videos on YouTube aquarist michael pallettauses the ecosystem you can. Heck it out at www.ecosystemaquarium.com I read about Berlin system from the animal planet saltwater aquarium book can't decide witch system I want I'm not shore about built in overflow box witch is better hob overflow box or built in overflow box predrilled hole for PVC connections any aquarist out there can help decide what the best sump refugium my canister filter is 350 gph 100 gallon capacity from Marineland I'm so lost

IMO sumps are the best method of filtration. Wet/dry filters have bio balls which can trap detritus like fish waste and excess food and that will decay and eventually turn into nitrate. That's why they need to be cleaned frequently. Same goes for canister filters I believe. With sumps/refugium, the refugium part is the filtration, you can put in a skimmer to get out organic waste that would otherwise turn into nitrates, and you can have media, a filter sock, etc. A DIY sump is fairly easy and cheap. There are tons of videos of how to do it on youtube and websites.

Build an internal overflow. External overflow boxes utilize a full siphon and there are flood risks in the case of lost siphons or pump failures. Take the time and do it right by drilling your tank and creating an internal one. A sump is easy to build. The ecosystem site just talks about miracle mud whish is a substrate that some put in the refugiums/sumps. Not really necessary, many prefer a deep sand bed instead.

Go for the sump design take your time doing your research and you will be fine. Drilled is the best but a overflow box will work to buying one for 70 bucks saves some headache. If you plan it correctly it will not flood. Drilled or overflow can both flood Plan it out.

Thanks everyone I will plan it out after I decide on tank size Gallon size I want get yellow tang in other thread they told me 125 or 150 gallon is more room so I'm deciding on everything

Back
Top Bottom