Cannabalistic Amano Shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kennedy008

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Bit of a strange one... I recently bought several Amano shrimp to sort my algae probems and they've been fine until last night... I spotted at least 3 of them attacking my Red Cherry Shrimp, and I mean ripping it's under body/carapace off and running off to eat parts of him. I gently seperated them all and made sure the Red Cherry Shrimp was out of the way, at which point I switched off the light and hoped for the best.

This morning I was pleasently surprised to find my RCS still alive, but looking battered.

I came to the conclusion that either the RCS was midway through shedding it's skin and was therefore vunerable or he was actually just very poorly thus being an easy target... But I've never seen such brutality amongst my shrimp :(.

Anyone have any ideas?

P.S. I wasn't sure if this was a thread fit for this forum or the unhealthy fish forum, so apologies if it's in the wrong place!

Hmm , now that you mention it one of my RCS disappeared! I've never heard of that but it doesnt sound good.

I couldn't believe it mate! I mean I don't think it's lack of food as there's always algae and the odd bit of live/flake food knocking around...

Yeah, I'm just thinking could that of happened to my shrimp? Lol they pick up whole tablets and take them for themselves!

Back
Top Bottom