Cannot reduce my ammonia levels!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katea6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. I recently purchased and set up a 10g aquarium on December 20th. I had it stocked with 5 neon tetras, 2 glow tetras, 2 corydoras catfish, my betta, and 2 guppies, plus 2 tiny ghost shrimp. I also added a snail for algae control, which has helped. I realize that it was too over stocked (long story as to why I had so many fish) but I did my best to have the tank cycle quickly and avoid the new tank syndrome. It actually didn't seem too bad in terms of swimming space because my guppies hung out at the top, betta spends most time resting near the surface and isn't a very active fish, tetras in the middle, and plecos at the bottom.

Anyway, I have two fairly large bamboo plants and some betta bulbs currently sprouting. I bought eco complete black substrate, use leaf zone API to help with the plant growth, have a heater and water temps are at 78 F, have plentiful lighting (I forget the wattage but it was recommended to me at my local fish store), and a nice underwater filter. I began performing water tests a week ago after I saw my tetras rapidly opening and closing their mouths and gasping a bit, and found my ammonia levels were very high (around .8-1).

I do 25%-40% water changes every other day using a gravel vacuum so I get the waste at the bottom, and treat fresh water with a water conditioner to make the tap water safe (stress coat API). When I saw the levels of ammonia were so high I added the API Quick Start solution to get the tank cycling faster, added a second filter (at the surface so there is water agitation and oxygen flowing) and added an ammonia removing pouch within the filter (not sure what is in it, some kind of tan rocks that are supposed to capture ammonia). I also cut way back on feeding to reduce waste.

Despite all of this my ammonia levels are not dropping and I have lost 3 neon tetras and a ghost shrimp. I currently have an air stone in the mail to help increase oxygen even more. I'm running out of things to do to lower ammonia levels. The neon tetras seem to be struggling the most. The plecos and guppies are fine, the glow tetras are relatively ok, snail is great, and I removed the betta to a separate tank because he was beginning to become very lethargic. He's fine in his own, new tank. Any advice for how I can drop these ammonia levels? Thank you!

Your ammonia levels won't go down because your tank is massively overstocked. A10 gallon can't handle one pleco, let alone two. They produce a ton of waste. Glow tetras also get too big for a 10 gallon. Only guppies, neons and bettas are appropriate for a 10 gallon but even all of those together are overstocked. With no bacteria to begin with it will take ages for enough bacteria to grow at the level of ammonia you need to keep your fish alive. API quick start is snake oil. The only way to get your ammonia levels down is probably to remove some fish so that less is being produced, or to wait it out doing daily water changes until the biofilter can catch up.

I was told that two plecos would be ok, they are young and no more than an inch to an inch and a half long. The man at the fish store told me that they prefer company, so two was better than one. I realize it was too over stocked, and now I have much fewer fish, so that problem should be taken care of. So what do you recommend doing now that fish numbers are lower?

The guy at the fish store makes more money if you buy two plecos, and he also makes more money if your fish die and you have to replace them. Never trust the fish store unless you know that they have good info. Plecos are fine alone, and they grow very quickly. My friend gave me his pleco which got too big for his 10 gallon in 3 months!

Honestly the plecos alone may be producing the majority of the waste and there aren't any kinds that can live long term in a 10 gallon. I would see if the fish store will take them back and then I bet your ammonia problem will go away a lot quicker :)

Whoops I was totally wrong! They're not plecos. Dumb mistake. I have two corydoras catfish. I decided against plecos because they're big and dirty.

When your tank is in better shape there's a really cool and fun fish that is basically a really tiny pleco called an otocinclus. You could have them but they are a little sensitive so it's best to wait for your tank to establish :)

Back
Top Bottom