Cant seem to get goldfish healthy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokilow

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone. My Black Moor has been acting and looking kinda weird for a few months now (maybe going on 6 months). Im asking for help in what else I should try or look for.

1~What type of fish is afflicted?
Black Moor (now gold) seems to have fin rot, eyes cloudy, and sometimes just sits in a corner or now head stands
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Cycled tank for 5 years, PH-7.6 Ammonia- 0 Nitrites- 0 Nitrates- 0 Temp- 76f (heater controlled) Values testing using API drop tester. My TDS is between 180-214
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
50 gal, 5 years (had him for 6 years) He was the only one in the tank for the last until about 3 months ago(issues were going on before fish were added
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
HOB Aquatech (I think) filter. Extra foam mesh added and media rock. Currently have carbon filters removed for meds
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
3 other fish, 2 rainbows, 1 three spot gourami. All smaller than him
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Saturday, I vacuum and do a 20-30% water change normally once a week unless meds state otherwise. Longest is 2 weeks.
7~How long have you had the fish?
6 years
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
when he first started getting sick I gave him meds then gave him a log decor to hide in, since then I have converted the tank over to a planted tank
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
I feed him aqueon goldfish pellets and after he first got sick I started feeding him PE Mysis Shrimp (he loves it)

So with those questions answered here is some more info. I have tried Maracyn one (twice), melafix (a whole bottle), Kanaplex (two treaments), currently trying Paraguard. I have done two 1 hour dips with paraguard.
I have API General cure to also try. All meds were given per instructions and if I moved to another med I waited a week and also put my carbon filters in. Nothing seems to really help.

All the other fish show no signs of any issues, I treat the whole 50gal. Plants are healthy.

Here is a pictures of his fins and a cloudy eye.
FG9x3tM.jpg

Every now and then he will get a red spot on one of his sides like the Gourami has been biting him (he does nip at him once in a blue moon, trying to find him a new home).

I guess the only other thing to add is the goldie eats fine, and he use to not have a hiding place so I didnt read to much into him being in a corner or in the log but I want to help his fins and eyes, he swims upside down every now and then.

Maybe he is just getting old? Any constructive ideas, comments, or questions are welcomed.

Hello Lo...

Goldfish are naturally very hardy and like any other aquarium fish, the key to good health is lots of large water changes done every week, no excuses. Sick fish are the result of poor water conditions. If you gradually work up to the point you remove and replace at least half the water every week and add a bit of standard aquarium salt, about a healthy teaspoon in every five gallons of replacement water, your fish will likely recover. Add to the water change routine a variety of flakes, freeze dried and frozen foods from good sources, like Tetra, Hilari and Sally's. Add some frozen organic spinach to the diet and you're good to go.

B

Thanks, as stated I do weekly water changes of 30% and I feed him good pellets and mysis shrimp. His health hasnt changed, plants and other fish (and even Cherry Shrimp) are all thriving but him.

Your temperature is a little high for a goldfish. You could be stressing him out. I second 50% water changes weekly.

Due to my other fish and plants the temp will remain the same, however has has been at this temp for all 6 years and has never shown any stress with it. I can test turning it down a few degrees tho.

Ok let me clarify, the stick on temp sensor on the front of the tank (black strip type) says 76. The actual water measurements are 71 on one side to 73 on the other. Water right next to the heater is warmer of course but it's a big tank and not every inch is the same temp. I use my gauge on the front to just see consistenty.

So again, the temp is not the issue but i will remove him from the tank, and put him in a hospital tank.

Ok. In general, you shouldn't keep tropical fish with coldwater fish. I'm just throwing that out there because it's a bad practice. Could it be the reason your goldfish has prematurely deteriorated in health? It's very possible.

Some good meds to try is paragaurd, Prazipro, and metroplex. They'll cover a wide range of illnesses from bacteria and parasites.

I've tried paragaurd but not the other two, first post lists all the other meds tried up until this point.
Going to try api general cure next then I'll try the others you suggested.

But basically what I'm hearing is continue to try meds and shove him in the icebox.

Hello, no one is trying to bash. Just trying to help. @King Fisher is right about advice given. Keeping goldies in warm water it will shorten the life span of fish (sometimes in half)& this may be his time to go. If you've been medicating for a while you may want to give him a break(some meds harsh) before starting next treatment.

Thanks gomez, its all fine now as he passed last night.

Whenever i did switch meds i put carbon back in for a week or so and only started new treatment after if i seen him get worse after the carbons been in for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom