Carbon and filter change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilmack07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I've heard that a lot I people don't replace their filters unless the are falling apart because that's where most of your bb is. Also that the carbon is really there to help make your water not stink basically? ( not completely sure on all of this) but I was wondering how do I replace the carbon then? And if I really even need to? Also do you change your filter or leave it be? Also I've heard people talk about adding sponges to help their filtration can you add hem to any types of filter or are there filters made to hold them?

You can use just about anything with surface area to hold beneficial bacteria in your filter. The little pot scrubbers from the dollar store are popular choices.

As far as activated carbon, there is really no reason to run it in a healthy FW tank. It is great for removing meds and other impurities on a case by case basis, but beyond that I wouldn't recommend investing the time or energy in changing out your carbon source. Just don't run it :)

Ok so people just use sponges to add more space for the bb to grow. Thank you so much for clearing all the up for me. : ))

Back
Top Bottom