Carbonate Hardness keeps dropping........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grapeponey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would the hard corals I put in the tank cause my carbonate hardness to keep dropping. I check it last Thursday before I went out of town, and made sure it was up to 11, and Sunday when I got home, it was down to 7. What would cause this to happen. I have been keeping a close eye on this, but a few months ago I added some hard coral (rocks), to my live rock and now I seem to be having trouble with the water. If the coral is causing this, then I will just remove the coral and be done with it. I have notice the pink stuff growing on it though. So, something must be good in the tank. :) All other tests are good. The fish are doing very well. I want to get a new fish, but need to find out what's going on with the carbonate hardness first. Thank you!

Your sig line states
75 Gallon Salter water tank. No corals.
Does that need to be updated or are you refering to the LR in the tank?

Depending on which, alkalinity is affected by a great many things. Corals and coralline will deplete a decent amount of alk and Ca as they deposit CaCO3 in the construction of their skelatons.

Water changes, kalkwasser and/or a two part liq suppliment might not be a bad idea if so. As the animals that need these grow, you need to keep up with the demand.

What was your Ca reading? Could be an Mg deficiencey as well.

Cheers
Steve

Well, the coral I am referring to...

is not live coral. It's dried coral that looks and feel like rock. I do have live rock, which I have had since I started the tank. I will try to find some pics of what I have. The only thing wrong with my water is the carbonate hardness. I have had it tested for everything else, and do get it tested often.

Thanks for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom