Change Filter cartridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marina

Aquarium Advice Regular
February 10th will be the 4th week of starting my 1st tank. Is it time to CHANGE the filter cartridge ? or should I just "rinse it" (my reason behind it is not to loose the "good bacteria", although now that I am thinking, I remember reading that this bacteria is in the gravel and decor (right?). I have a 10 gal with 3 fish in it. Thank you in advance!

Don't change the cartridge. If it's getting plugged up, rinse it in the bucket of old tank water you remove during a water change. Don't rinse it with chlorinated water, since that will kill your good bacteria. If it's only been four weeks, your tank is probably still cycling. Killing the bacteria would set you back to square one.

The cartridge change schedules are meant for the companies to sell more cartridges.

Don't change the cartridge. If it's getting plugged up, rinse it in the bucket of old tank water you remove during a water change. Don't rinse it with chlorinated water, since that will kill your good bacteria. If it's only been four weeks, your tank is probably still cycling. Killing the bacteria would set you back to square one.

The cartridge change schedules are meant for the companies to sell more cartridges.
so true.

OMG!!!!! In this field you CANNOT believe pretty much anybody!!! Not my LFS, food company supplies!!!!:eek: THANK YOU for the quick response!!! ;)

rule of thumb prob in all life.... anyone trying to sell you something take it with a grain of salt..... not everyone but many its anything they can do to make the sell.

Cartridge change

No, the filter is not getting plugged up...I was being deceived by the company!!!Read their instructions, but something told me to check with you guys, and I am glad I did!!...Amazing!!! So,how will I know that its time to change it? ...and thank you again for sharing your knowledge!!!

When it's falling apart or you need to get meds out of the tank, then you can change it. Until then, just swish it in old tank water once a week or so when you change out the water. :)

I will do so!!! THANK YOU!!! I am also happy to report that I have introduced 2 guppies and 1 week and 1/2 later 2 mollies to the tank where my male betta is and for now (crossed fingers) everything is going OK! Checking the water levels as well, Bot a liquid Ammonia Test and the ammonia level before the water change was .25, a day after pwc was between .0 and .25 (lighter green color on the tube thatn the green= .25 on the chart). Mollies are going crazy pecking on the gravel and the decor...are they eating algae? I love my tank! :p

Back
Top Bottom