Change filtraion on a biocube 14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RicoNica

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I was hoping I could get some feed back on the following:
I have a biocube 14 that has been successfully running for a couple years now' it was given to me as a present and currently has corals and fish living it that are very healthy'
I been reading around and I seen some bad review on bio balls'
The is wat I currently hav in my tanks and also running a skimmer'
So I change my filtration system to LR and cheato?
I found this pic online would this be sufficient if I were to change over?

image-1657079674.jpg

image-139250210.jpg

Don't know for sure. But it's the method I use. I put a Nano Glo LED system on the clear viewing port, where the LR and chaeto is. And I raised the water level much higher than the Max indicator line. Every thing checks out perfectly. By the way I also have a Bio14

Thanks for the info :)
Would u guys happens to have a picture of your filtration system u could share with me?

RicoNica said:
Thanks for the info :)
Would u guys happens to have a picture of your filtration system u could share with me?

I wouldn't know how to get a pic of it, that would help. It's just that I 1st removed the carbon filter and replaced that with a PolyFilter pad. 2nd. I removed the drip plate covering the Bio balls and removed them. Replacing them with about a 4" layer of LR rubble. Then placed about 4" mat of chaeto over top of the rubble. Finished by placing the NanoGlo magnet on the inside, rear wall of the clear viewing port of this bioballs chamber. The NanoGlo LED isn't waterproof. But fits as though it was made specifically for this. It attaches on the outside to the magnet on the inside. Reinstall the drip plate. Then fill the cube with enough water to cover the chaeto. Never mind the maximum water line. It might sound complicated but is very simple. Removing that drip plate was the trickiest part. But it does come out with a little effort and needle nose pliers. The NanoGlo wasn't cheap either. And u can probably light it up cheaper another way. LEDs r bright and give off minimal heat. Remember that the chaeto needs to be well lit, or it will die and contaminate ur tank. Also a timer for the chaeto light is good also. About 9 Hrs of light when the cube lights r off is a good way.

Oh yeh. I almost forgot. If everything is fine with ur tank after a couple years. Don't change anything. That would b the simplest thing to do. As they say " If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

Thanks for the advice I really appriciate it :)

Back
Top Bottom