Changing HOB Filter cartridges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshv155

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30 gallon tank with a marineland bio-wheel set up. I have 2 of the filter media/charcoal inserts. I put a second one in after the filter had been up and running for 4 weeks with one. I put a new one in ever 6 weeks or so and leave one of them still in and then rotate which insert I change.

I have read here about not throwing filter media away unless it is falling apart ...does this apply to the inserts for the filters as well ? Or should I be stuffing some other type of media in the HOB filter that I never change and continue rotating the inserts like I have been ? I havent had any major issues with the tank but just want to know if I'm doing this right.

Yup, you just take those inserts and swish them in old tank water when you do a PWC. Will save you a ton of cash. If you do need to replace them at some time in the future you can just rip off the floss from the plastic frame and, using the plastic frame, use a couple of rubber bands to attach a cut piece of bulk filter media.

Ok - I have been throwing away those inserts. Is the carbon not that big of a help ? Should I keep one the way your saying and replace the other so that I get new carbon every 6-8 weeks ?

Another question since we are on the filter topic. I have a canister filter on my 75 gallon tank (first time I have had one of these). When cleaning it do I just wash the bulk filter media in old water like your saying and put it back in ? I have the bio rings in one of the chambers as well. And do I replace the filter floss stuff that is for making sure the water is clear ? Pretty new to all of this .....thanks !

Carbon is not necessary and is used mainly for removing medications and strong smells but if your tank smells you have other issues. Some folks will disagree with this and say you need carbon but it's whatever.

Yes, do the same with your canister media. Swish and replace.

When I decided to get rid of my carbon, I cut the filter insert open, dumped the carbon, and added some bio-max to give it more space for BB--as much as I could fit in the bag and the space allotted. Just a thought for if you decide to get rid of it. :)

Back
Top Bottom