Checked the Local Fish Store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afurlow96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Did some digging around while i was letting my 10 gallon tank cycle and many people seem to agree that Petco / Petsmart will say what they have to to get a sale, therefore for an aquarium they are not the most reliable, so i went to a fish store that sells strictly aquarium goods (although much of the store is for saltwater aquariums, they do have a freshwater) and asked a few questions about getting my tank started.
First off I told her that a Dwarf Gourami is one of my favorites, so there will have to be one in the tank. I asked what good tank mates are and she pretty much told me to say what i wanted and she will say they are good or not. She said other Gourami are okay, I then asked if Barbs were good, because i do like them too (to be fair i didn't specify which kind when talking to her, i meant panda barbs just in case they need different amounts of space) and she said i could get 4-6 barbs in a tank with a Dwarf Gourami. I asked about a crayfish and she said it will terrorize all the fish in the tank so it is a bad idea. Im wondering if she was right with the stuff she gave me advice on, if not, please let me know of some good Dwarf Gourami tank mates for a 10 gallon - :thanks:

Barbs don't belong in any the ing less than a 29, they are extremely active and take comfort in groups of 5+, in all honesty you're probably goi BFF to be maxed with just the gourami in a 10, you could maybe add some harlequin rasboras or shrimp..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In a 10 with a dwarf gourami, you could get by with a few small tetras but that's about it. You'll still need to be fairly rigid with your tank maintenance and water changes. I have a DG, five glolight tetras and four otos in a 10 gallon and according to Aqadvisor, that is 103% stocking. I've also got 20 gallons of HOB filtration plus a small sponge running in the tank as well and do 30% water changes every five days. so it can be done but you have to keep up with the water in the tank. However with a new tank, do not start with all your dish at once, get either the gourami or the small schooling fish first and give your filter a couple of weeks to adjust to the new bioload before adding anything else.

Back
Top Bottom