Cherry shrimp care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shrimpyfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I plan on getting some cherry shrimp soon. It's a 29 gallon with java moss here and there. I hope they reproduce like crazy because I love watching them at the LFS. I know I know, I did my research and there's always something wrong, the blood parrot. The thing is he blood parrot is about 4-5 inches(mouth to tail). But it's on the other side of the tank (rocks). I just want to know the best about cherry shrimp, please don't sen me links because I think I probably checked every possible one. Also, can they survive and reproduce with the blood parrot in tank??? I have a lava rack covered in java moss, could they shelter there which is opposite of the blood parrots shelter?

Hey'
I Started out with 10RCS in a 15 gallon tank shared with 3white cloud minnows, a black neon and rummy nose tetras as well has 2 snails. All my fish are under 2 inches and I have witness them eating and pickng on shrimp/shrimplets.
I now have 23 shrimps butimagine quite a few have died because of being attacked.

On that note, youll need a heater Id sayd around 78 degrees, not to much hotter but If you wanted you could go down to 72f.

Filter should be a sponge so no shrimps get sucked up. I go with no filter because I have experienced cleaning dead shrimp out of my filter that hangs off the side.

Keep up on water changed because they like good water and breeds in it. The more the better. RCS Molt and that's when a female will get pregnet, Large water changed help with molting

Javamoss is very good because it clears the water and keeps it clean, plus it gives shelter for shrimp and a good food source ( good bacteria grows on it)

Have lots of hiding spots for your shrimp.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom