Choosing Fish for a 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

.josh.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm in the process of beginning a fishless cycle, and consequently have some time before I need to come to any final decisions, but I've begun to ponder over what I would like to have in my community tank (particularly after visiting my LFS earlier this evening).

I've included the fish among my considerations, and I was just hoping you experts could let me know what I need to consider (e.g., numbers, male to female ratio, conflicts, etc.), and what some of the better combinations might be. If you think I should consider another kind of fish, or a particular species when I wasn't as specific, I would love suggestions!

Dalmation Mollies
Swords
Tetras
Gourami's
Guppies
Platies
Dwarf frogs
Cherry shrimp
Assassin snail

Thanks in advance!

How high is your tank? If you are looking at african dwarf frogs they do best with a water depth of about 12 inches, I think 16 is most so you 55 gallon may not be best for them.

For livebearers if you want to mix different types, like molly and platy, you will have interbreeding so that's something to think about. I do not know much about this really but you could avoid it by going with all males if you'd like. When it comes to ratios you want at least 2 females to 1 male to spread out the pestering. I actually have 3f to 1m.

Personally I'd go with something like

2 DG, 10 neons tetra, 10 rummy nose and maybe split up some livebearers.. 4-5 platy and 4-5 molly but doing all male. Or you could do a larger group of just 1 type and mix M and F. The shrimp may be a target for the DG so that's something to think about but you could manage another bottom dweller like a school of corys or a smaller pleco.

I like platy(and other livebearer) because you can vary a look so much with all of the colorations available.

Just some thoughts

I like African Malawi cichlids they are actually pretty easy to care for. I just love watching their habits and if you get juveniles you will get to watch their colors change when the hit sexual maturity. But if you want live bearers I would be wary of them breeding themselves to death. With that many and the 1-3 m-f ratio you would need to keep tranquility you would end up with a lot of babies. Maybe try some German blue rams you could probably do a couple pairs, generally they will breed just not with great success so you get to see all the behavior without the hassle of having to get a nursery tank and taking care of the young, with that in mind I would say two pairs of gbr's and some schools of tetras if you want a lot I would go with maybe 15 green neons tetras and 15 ember tetras then you could throw in some ghost shrimp as well as maybe a couple nerite snails.

you have a 55, personally id be looking at cichlids. big south americans, or a bunch of smaller africans.... their personalities are always fascinating!
however if you want more decorative, from the list you gave, i'd suggest something like;
2M 4F dalmation or calico mollies
1M 2F swords
1M 3F platies
5 neon tetra
5 black widow tetra
5 lemon tetra
3 assassin snails

just an idea! you have a 55 so PLENTY of stocking room for smaller community fish... just not as fun as cichlids ;) best of luck, i hope you find something to your liking!

I was worried about that tamtam, as it is 18 inches high. I've just read that some were able to keep dwarf frogs in a 55 gallon tank, and I though perhaps there was a way, but it doesn't sound like they're in the cards. Too bad! I love those guys! Are there any other amphibians to consider with a community tank?

I was planning to go 3:1 with females:males, and will have to think about the interbreeding... and whether to consider cichlids! AAAAAH!!! So much to consider!!

I think that for this round, I'm going to stick with the community tank, but I am going to do some research on the cichlids during my week away, so we'll see. Some of the cichlids I saw at my LFS were quite large - I'm assuming some of them are too big for a 55 gallon? Which ones should I stay away from if I do decide to go that route?

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it!!!

I was worried about that tamtam, as it is 18 inches high. I've just read that some were able to keep dwarf frogs in a 55 gallon tank, and I though perhaps there was a way, but it doesn't sound like they're in the cards. Too bad! I love those guys! Are there any other amphibians to consider with a community tank?

I was planning to go 3:1 with females:males, and will have to think about the interbreeding... and whether to consider cichlids! AAAAAH!!! So much to consider!!

I think that for this round, I'm going to stick with the community tank, but I am going to do some research on the cichlids during my week away, so we'll see. Some of the cichlids I saw at my LFS were quite large - I'm assuming some of them are too big for a 55 gallon? Which ones should I stay away from if I do decide to go that route?

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it!!!

I don't know much about a lot of cichlids, there are so many! I do know that size isn't always the biggest issue, temperament is too. Some can just be nasty and keeping more than a couple in a tank can be a challenge. There is a cichlid forum on here that you may find helpful.

If you are interested in cichlids there are some more peaceful dwarf options. Rams are a popular option. You could manage a pair in that size tank with no problem IMO and still have a nice community tank. Just be aware if you get a M/F pair that when they start breeding they can be a bit nasty with tank mates in their space. They are mostly bottom dwellers too. Apistos are another popular one but I do not know much about them.

Some to avoid would be Oscars, Texas cichlids, Jack dempseys, Frontosa.. These ones get really big, too big for your tank really. There are a lot of different types though. Some are smaller but pretty territorial so limit options.

That's about where my knowledge ends though. lol. I def suggest the cichlids forum and there are some good articles on here too that may help you out.

some cichlids such as oscars, jack dempseys and red devils are best kept alone in a 55.
others like severums, parrots, convicts and firemouths are best in pairs or small groups in a 55.
others like mbuna, malawis and small tanganyikas are best in medium to large colonies in a 55.
others like kribensis, shellies, apistogrammas or pseudocrenilabrus could be kept in fairly large groups in a 55.

hope this sorta helps, and correct me if im wrong anyone! xx

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
some cichlids such as oscars, jack dempseys and red devils are best kept alone in a 55.
others like severums, parrots, convicts and firemouths are best in pairs or small groups in a 55.
others like mbuna, malawis and small tanganyikas are best in medium to large colonies in a 55.
others like kribensis, shellies, apistogrammas or pseudocrenilabrus could be kept in fairly large groups in a 55.

hope this sorta helps, and correct me if im wrong anyone! xx

Sounds right. I have a Mbuna tank and they are great fish. I've got about 30 in my 90g but I'd say if you go with a lake Malawi tank for mbunas in a 55, aim for about 20. You will need to "overstock" in turn overfilter. They are stunning tanks. If you decide Africans, you need to consider each fishs temperament as some are mellow like electric yellows and acei and some are aggressive like the bumblebee upon many more. Be sure to keep to the same lake ad fish type. For example Malawi consists of peacocks, haps, and mbuna. Most people just do one type. Doing an African tank takes a lot of fish species research but since your currently cycling you have time. Again though, community tanks are great! :)

Post pics and keep us updated!

Another option you can go with 2 angelfish, a pair of German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams, a school of cory cats for the bottom, and a nice school or two of tetras and or rasboras. I don't keep rasboras but Cardinal, Rummynose, Lemon, and Diamond tetras are all good for keeping with angels/rams/cory's.

I'm going to look into the Rams, River - thanks! I've heard good things about the Bolivian Rams at my LFS.

Burgo, they're definitely nice tanks. I've set mine up as a community tank at this point (plants, etc.), but I suspect I'll get a cichlid one going at some point.

Most low light/low tech plants can withstand cichlid "nibbling", like the Anubias and crypts. That's what I keep in my mbuna tank

Interesting, Niceguy. I thought even low-light plants were a no-no with cichlids.

Also, have any of you had any experience with Mexican Dwarf Lobsters (I assume really crayfish, though they were labeled lobsters at my LFS). Apparently they're okay for a community tank according to the folks over there, as they only get to be about 1.5". Any reason why they might not be a good addition to the tank?

They are good for a community you just need to have enough hiding spots for them as they can be attached when molting also they prefer a little bit softer water. I have kept them for about 7 months now and I love them but I wouldn't put too many in there they have territorial battles.

Back
Top Bottom