Christmas List!! Look at it! :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I made up a list of what i'm going to buy with my christmas money. At first I was going to get the new black berry storm but then thought if I start breeding fish and shrimp I will be able to buy that in no time. Plus this list I need to start breeding. Well here is the list tell me what you think.

-Economy Ultimate Aquarium Gravel Vac - 25Ft. (Rip off of Python but cheaper.) $28.69
-Aquarium Light Timer (Mines screwed up.) $8.49
-Freshwater Master Test Kit $17.89
-Hydro II Sponge Filter (x3) $26.97
-Freeze Dried Bloodworms 1 oz. $6.69
-THEO Heater 50W $14.29
-Aqualight Light Fixture with Fluorescent T-5 Lamp 10,000k 18W 30in. (For my 20 gallon long.) $34.99
-Tank Divider (For 20 gallon long.) $7.99

Total: $146.00
Shipping: Free over $100. (Nice!)

Tell me what you think.

Ofcourse man, then i'm going to order 2 pairs of GBR's and around 8 RCS and breed them. I'll make the $200 I spend back within a month atleast. Then after that I will be making more money to get store credit and some real cash, it's going to be awesome.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You have fun. How can you not? I get happy whenever i see cash. But I have no problem getting spending it.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah. here's how i think i'm going to get started up. i have a 10g and a 1g now. my 38g got a big crack in it so i'm going to get rid of it. so i have a 10g aand a 1g now. and i will get a larger tank for christmas. so thats 3 tanks. i will use the 1g for some of my mollie fry and the net breed for the rest. once they get bigenough i will sell the majority and get another 10 or 15g tank (i will keep a couple extras for my larger tank). after that i will breed the fish again and use the money to buy shrimp which i will keep in the 1g and in one of the 10g tanks. and i will use the other 10g for mollie fry. after that i will start breeding harder fish like GBRs and stuff. and its just smooth sailin after that.

Well I found out that besides the $150 I was going to put towards new equipment, I forgot my parents always give me $100 for christmas so now I have $250 to spend on equipment. Here is my new list of stuff i'm going to get.

-Economy Ultimate Aquarium Gravel Vac 25 ft. ($28.69)
-Aquarium Light Timer ($8.49)
-Freshwater Master Test Kit ($17.89)
-Freeze Dried Bloodworms 1 oz. ($6.69)
-Aqualight Light Fixture Fluorescent T-5 Lamp 10,000k 18W 30 in. ($34.99)
-Aqualight Light Fixture Fluorescent T-5 Lamp 10,000k 14W 24 in. ($31.99)
-Tank Divider 15 & 20 Gallon ($7.99)
-Lok-Tite Brass Gang Valve 5 outlets ($8.99)
-Hydro I Sponge Filter ($7.99)
-Aircore Sand Airstone 1 in. 4pk ($1.39)
-Rena SmartHeater 50W 8 in. 20 Gallon ($26.89)
-THEO Heater 25W UL Listed ($13.19)
-Quick Cure 4 oz. ($3.79)
-Hatch n Feeder Brine Shrimp Hatchery ($15.99)
-Brine Shrimp Eggs 0.21 oz. ($3.29)

Shipping: $0.00

Total: $248.80

Well I found out that besides the $150 I was going to put towards new equipment, I forgot my parents always give me $100 for christmas so now I have $250 to spend on equipment. Here is my new list of stuff i'm going to get.

-Economy Ultimate Aquarium Gravel Vac 25 ft. ($28.69)
-Aquarium Light Timer ($8.49)
-Freshwater Master Test Kit ($17.89)
-Freeze Dried Bloodworms 1 oz. ($6.69)
-Aqualight Light Fixture Fluorescent T-5 Lamp 10,000k 18W 30 in. ($34.99)
-Aqualight Light Fixture Fluorescent T-5 Lamp 10,000k 14W 24 in. ($31.99)
-Tank Divider 15 & 20 Gallon ($7.99)
-Lok-Tite Brass Gang Valve 5 outlets ($8.99)
-Aircore Sand Airstone 1 in. 4pk ($1.39)
-Rena SmartHeater 50W 8 in. 20 Gallon ($26.89)
-THEO Heater 25W UL Listed ($13.19)
-Quick Cure 4 oz. ($3.79)
-Hatch n Feeder Brine Shrimp Hatchery ($15.99)

Shipping: $0.00

Total: $248.80

Why a gravel vac? Are you planning on using it for your breeding setups? What is the pH and GH of your water? If you don't have the right water for the fish to breed in, there's no sense in getting that "python" knock-off. I have never used a python but I'm sure they work. For breeding setups they are anything but useful.

Why spend $8-9 on a timer? You can get the same thing from a hardware store or WalMart for under $3.

Are you planning on having plants in your tank? I'm not sure what the T5 fixtures are for and that's why I'm asking. You don't need them for breeding setups.

That's quite a bit of money for a Rena 50W heater and I'm sure you could find a much better price on a 50W heater...probably around $10-15.

Brine shrimp and hatchery kit? You told me that you weren't planning on going with brine shrimp which is fine, but then you add all of the brine shrimp and plan on purchasing a "brine shrimp kit" which is one of the biggest rip-offs in the hobby. All you need for brine shrimp is a mason jar or an old spaghetti sauce/pickle jar to hatch out the shrimp. That and some water, baking soda, a heater possibly and a flashlight to draw them to the bottom of the jar where yo can harvest them with a turkey baster.

Also, breeder don't "get rich quick" and it'll be half a year or more before you see any sort of profit from breeding. If you start off with RCS for example you will want more than 8. I'd suggest 20-24 if you are serious about starting a colony. Those will be 1/4-1/2" in length and it'll take at least 6 weeks before they start to breed. Then, 4-5 weeks later you will have baby shrimp. Give them 4-6 weeks to grow before you can sell them to make a profit. You are looking at anywhere from 14-17 weeks before you START making money. You could purchase larger adult shrimp which go for $3 or more each, but that would give a nice jumpstart to the colony. I'd recommend 12 adults if you went that way.

As for the rams, the same thing applies. You aren't going to get rich quick and it takes time to see a return on your investment. The fish will need to be 5-7 months old before they start to breed. Then, the babies will need to be 4 months before they start to color, which is the soonest you'd be able to sell them. I think you are under the wrong impression that it's easy work and you are guaranteed to get lots of money in very little time and that's just not how it works. If it did, why wouldn't everyone be doing it?

Why a gravel vac? Are you planning on using it for your breeding setups? What is the pH and GH of your water? If you don't have the right water for the fish to breed in, there's no sense in getting that "python" knock-off. I have never used a python but I'm sure they work. For breeding setups they are anything but useful.

Why spend $8-9 on a timer? You can get the same thing from a hardware store or WalMart for under $3.

Are you planning on having plants in your tank? I'm not sure what the T5 fixtures are for and that's why I'm asking. You don't need them for breeding setups.

That's quite a bit of money for a Rena 50W heater and I'm sure you could find a much better price on a 50W heater...probably around $10-15.

Brine shrimp and hatchery kit? You told me that you weren't planning on going with brine shrimp which is fine, but then you add all of the brine shrimp and plan on purchasing a "brine shrimp kit" which is one of the biggest rip-offs in the hobby. All you need for brine shrimp is a mason jar or an old spaghetti sauce/pickle jar to hatch out the shrimp. That and some water, baking soda, a heater possibly and a flashlight to draw them to the bottom of the jar where yo can harvest them with a turkey baster.

Also, breeder don't "get rich quick" and it'll be half a year or more before you see any sort of profit from breeding. If you start off with RCS for example you will want more than 8. I'd suggest 20-24 if you are serious about starting a colony. Those will be 1/4-1/2" in length and it'll take at least 6 weeks before they start to breed. Then, 4-5 weeks later you will have baby shrimp. Give them 4-6 weeks to grow before you can sell them to make a profit. You are looking at anywhere from 14-17 weeks before you START making money. You could purchase larger adult shrimp which go for $3 or more each, but that would give a nice jumpstart to the colony. I'd recommend 12 adults if you went that way.

As for the rams, the same thing applies. You aren't going to get rich quick and it takes time to see a return on your investment. The fish will need to be 5-7 months old before they start to breed. Then, the babies will need to be 4 months before they start to color, which is the soonest you'd be able to sell them. I think you are under the wrong impression that it's easy work and you are guaranteed to get lots of money in very little time and that's just not how it works. If it did, why wouldn't everyone be doing it?

I'm getting the gravel vac so it is easier for me to do water changes, I don't have gravel in any of my tanks I just want easier water changes.

The timer I didn't know they had cheaper ones.

The T-5 Fixture is just for lighting and it looks good. Only plant I would be growing would be java moss.

I know there are plenty of cheaper heaters it's just that those smart heaters look nice and I have a little extra money to spend and i've always wanted one.

I decided it would be smart to have brine shrimp on hand for fry. Also the kit is just easy since I put it into my tank and they automaticly feed into the tank.

I know that breeding takes time. But those 4-5 months will seriously fly by so I don't care much. I like watching young ones grow up and then breed I have no problem with waiting. I just know I will be making money in no time because for me half a year isn't that long to wait for money. I have school and other things so it wouldn't be that long. So i'm fine with waiting.

You do realize that with a vac that large you will constantly be losing fry (money) don't you?

You can purchase whatever you like but I'm just trying to save you a good deal of money as I know what you will need and what you won't need for a breeding setup. There is no benefit of a T5 light over a $10 incandescent setup. Also, you could save $10-15 by purchasing a different heater, such as a shatterproof Stealth heater which work equally as well if not better.

You can get the same sort of brine shrimp setup with an old 2 liter soda bottle but if you want to pay $15 for a rinsed out soda bottle then by all means do so. Like I said, just trying to save you some money as I know what you will and what you won't need.

You do realize that with a vac that large you will constantly be losing fry (money) don't you?

You can purchase whatever you like but I'm just trying to save you a good deal of money as I know what you will need and what you won't need for a breeding setup. There is no benefit of a T5 light over a $10 incandescent setup. Also, you could save $10-15 by purchasing a different heater, such as a shatterproof Stealth heater which work equally as well if not better.

You can get the same sort of brine shrimp setup with an old 2 liter soda bottle but if you want to pay $15 for a rinsed out soda bottle then by all means do so. Like I said, just trying to save you some money as I know what you will and what you won't need.

Well I dont need the vac I just thought for my other 3 tanks besides the breeders it would be easier for water changes.

I can also change to a diff heater as well.

The brine shrimp thing is just easier for me because it auto feeds them but if that's not a good thing then I can always get a diff one as well.

I'm sticking with the light because it will be decent for java moss and it looks nice and I want my tanks to look nice. Sorry for wanting them to look good.

Breeding tanks don't even need a light and IMO it's a waste of $35 but if it makes YOU feel better then get it. That's all I'm going to say.

I don't like the auto feeders for fry since it'll let out an uncontrolled amount of brine shrimp and the leftovers will die and rot turning the water foul and toxic for the fry. Not only that bu BBS lose their nutritional value after 18 hours and you really need to have a new batch started every 12 or so hours IMO.

Breeding tanks don't even need a light and IMO it's a waste of $35 but if it makes YOU feel better then get it. That's all I'm going to say.

I don't like the auto feeders for fry since it'll let out an uncontrolled amount of brine shrimp and the leftovers will die and rot turning the water foul and toxic for the fry. Not only that bu BBS lose their nutritional value after 18 hours and you really need to have a new batch started every 12 or so hours IMO.

Well i'm getting the lights because they do make me feel better lol.

Also I got on youtube and found a great build for a DIY Brine shrimp hatchry so that will save me 13 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom