Cichlid lighting replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 125g with africans in it. I was rocking the stock dual tube t8's that is til one light fixture broke yesterday.

I like the 2 tubes so i was thinking on getting 2 36" fixtures. I don't grow anything at all in this tank so I was thinking on going with the odyssea double tube T5 fixtures. $45 each. lol To replace the one perfecto light strip would be almost $70 in the store and to be honest I hate the oak color on them. lol

I have had the odyssea before for my 29g reef and had nothing but praise for them, other than the shoddy workmanship. But I think it might be enough light for the tank. And that's all I need is light for these fish correct?

The fishneedit fixtures would be $75 each, I already checked and I seriously don't have the budget for it this month.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I've been scouring CL but nothing so far.

A 4' shoplight would be much cheaper, with less probability of causing algae. If you hang it a little above the tank, it'll light pretty evently

I though about the shop light, but I have a vaulted 20 foot ceiling in that section that is on an incline. Would be impossible and would look horrible in my opinion.

I'm just bummed that everything seems to be going wrong this last week. :-(

I was thinking the cichlids wont mind the crappy lights. lol

At what spectrum in t5 soes algae grow most? I was gonna get 10k bulb and a blue since I love the blue hue. Or should I get 2 10k's? or 2 of a lower spectrum?

You could run 50/50 bulbs... I don't think algae really cares much about spectrum, as long as it's something in the daylight range. A 10,000k and actinic in each would minimize the possibility a little. Of course, you'll not be running these much I would assume? My lights came on for like 15 minutes every other day in my mbuna tank. If that's the case, you shouldn't have any issues at all

I keep lights on the tank or maybe 8 hours. I love watching them all day. lol

But if less light is good I can cut back

Back
Top Bottom