Circulation or protien skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshpwolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
What would be a better addition to my 75 gal fowlr. More circulation (currently have 1-900 gph power head and return flow from sump tank) or a protien skimmer?

That is a question that could use more background info on the tank. Adding both more circulation and a skimmer are usually more concerning for reef tanks. Why do you feel you need them? Is there a reason you think you need more flow? How about water, is there something in there that needs more pristine water?

Sniperhank said:
That is a question that could use more background info on the tank. Adding both more circulation and a skimmer are usually more concerning for reef tanks. Why do you feel you need them? Is there a reason you think you need more flow? How about water, is there something in there that needs more pristine water?

I have just read on posts that more flow the better. I do have.some brown on top of my sand. Maybe diatoms not sure. Didnt know If circulation would help. I have two damsals,coral beauty,flame angle. Corynactis,majano( cant seem to get rid of them) kenya tree, rhadactis mushroom, leather coral, and ducans. Im new to hobby have had the tank up and running for almost 1 month.

If that is the case, then I would add circulation. Soft corals tend to like a "dirtier" water. If you move toward LPS, I would then look into a skimmer. How are the duncans doing? Mine have been thriving since I have them almost directly into the flow from my 750.

Sniperhank said:
If that is the case, then I would add circulation. Soft corals tend to like a "dirtier" water. If you move toward LPS, I would then look into a skimmer. How are the duncans doing? Mine have been thriving since I have them almost directly into the flow from my 750.

They are kinda in the lower end of my flow. They look to be doing very well. Do u have any suggestions on the majano to get rid of it? I have tried injecting with boiling water and also with vinager neither worked.

Sniperhank said:
I've been fighting off aiptasia from a rock that my blue symphodium came on. Aiptasia-X has been doing the job, I'd highly suggest it.

Ill give that a try. I have been reading that ro/di water is better to use for water changes. Is that just for reef tanks or for all tanks?

Sniperhank said:
All tanks. Using RO/DI will help eliminate unwanted Algae growth.

Do u recommend any brands im not looking to spend a ton. That might be a better Investment instead of ciruclation at this time.

Sniperhank said:
Check out RO/DI units from purewaterclub.com. You can find their units on ebay as well. 5-6 stage units for ~100 bucks if i remember correctly.

What is the difference between 5 and 6 stage

I changed out my ebay units filters every 6 months, they cost like $30. The membrane on both units is good for like 2-3 years so youre good on that part.

Back
Top Bottom