Cleaning a 50 gallon hexagonal tall from a terrarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishStarter89

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been out of the hobby for a couple of years after a disease from a new fish killed off all of my stock. I've been looking to get started back up again and I found an old 50 gallon hexagonal tall aquarium I had from high school that I got for a Christmas present which was intended as an aquarium. I was thinking of trying this one instead of my 29 gallon I used several years ago.

Here's the potential problem: I used my 50 gallon for several months of house an Iguana that was pushed off on me. The iguana lived there, heat lamp and all, for several months before I found a new home for it and that was almost 4 years ago. It has been sitting in my mom's garage with the mulch and terrarium decorations still in it.

Here's me question: is it feasible to clean this up to become an aquarium or should I just go back to my 29? If so what would the cleaning procedure be to get it ready for my fishless cycle?

Thanks so much and I'm glad to be back!

I like the 29 better. Yes you can use the Hex. Hose it out. Fill it with water 10 to 20% bleach over night. Rinse it,fill it add declor. Rinse it.

Back
Top Bottom