Cleaning Crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LIMentality420

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just set up my 55 gal. finally a hour ago. I have a 4 1/2 inch sand bed. I have only 15 lbs. live rock and 15 lbs. base rock. I will be getting more live rock. I'm cyclying it now with all the rock in it and 1 shrimp. My question is when do I go buy snails, crabs and shrimp ? Also wich ones do you suggest for 55 fowlr with 4 1/2 inch sand bed and how many of each ? Thanks for the help....

I would wait until the cycle is finished before adding them. When you notice a nitrate spike do a large water change, wait a couple of days and retest. if all is well go ahead and add a clean-up crew. start with maybe a doozen hermits and 6 snails and go from there.

but a test kit with pH ammonia nitrates and nitrites at least and test daily to know when your cycle is finished once it is finished i'd wait a little bit and let your tank settle down for a week or two and then add a fish usually want to add the smaller ones you want first and then add some snails and hermits a bit at a time, thats what i've been doing and also get an assortment of snails as they eat different kinds of algea. i set up my tank in the beginning of feb; 75g, and added two baby O's first, then my lawnmower blenny, and then my 6 line wrasse. i now have about 20 turbo snails 15 astrea coneheads 1 emerald mythrax 1 red mythrax crab about 40-50 baby blue hermits.

Back
Top Bottom