cleaning sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

praedld

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what are the best gravel cleaners for a sand ( 2-4 inch depth) base ?. Just started the tank this week and realized I needed a way to clean. Thanks in advance for the help.
Rick

Malaysian Trumpet snails help sift through the sand and remove toxic anaerobic buildup, you might want to get some.

Malaysian Trumpet snails help sift through the sand and remove toxic anaerobic buildup, you might want to get some.

The toxic buildup is a myth thankfully. The gas that builds up in sand escapes from the water too quickly to be absorbed. I would highly recommend MTS snails if you were considering a planted tank though. They will keep the sand turned and keep it from compacting making it easier for plant roots.

The toxic buildup is a myth thankfully. The gas that builds up in sand escapes from the water too quickly to be absorbed. I would highly recommend MTS snails if you were considering a planted tank though. They will keep the sand turned and keep it from compacting making it easier for plant roots.

Yes it escapes from the water but what if it gets trapped under the sand?

Yes it escapes from the water but what if it gets trapped under the sand?

There's no water flow through the sand. That's why it gets trapped underneath it :) Without water flowing through it, nothing can get absorbed.

The air bubbles are a big problem with dirted tanks, the decaying organics in the dirt release the toxic compounds into the sand where they get trapped until it's disturbed. My 10g betta tank is especially plagued by them but they have yet to harm cory cats, cardinal tetras, betta, RCS.

There's no water flow through the sand. That's why it gets trapped underneath it :) Without water flowing through it, nothing can get absorbed.

The air bubbles are a big problem with dirted tanks, the decaying organics in the dirt release the toxic compounds into the sand where they get trapped until it's disturbed. My 10g betta tank is especially plagued by them but they have yet to harm cory cats, cardinal tetras, betta, RCS.

Right. But if he has a 2-4 inch thick layer of sand wouldn't the bottom not get water flow?

Right. But if he has a 2-4 inch thick layer of sand wouldn't the bottom not get water flow?

Correct, but either the gas is trapped underneath the sand or if it gets exposed to any sort of water flow / builds up enough to break through the sand / gets disturbed it will rise out of the tank and dissipate in the air. There just isn't enough contact time with water for anything to diffuse into it.

Correct, but either the gas is trapped underneath the sand or if it gets exposed to any sort of water flow / builds up enough to break through the sand / gets disturbed it will rise out of the tank and dissipate in the air. There just isn't enough contact time with water for anything to diffuse into it.

Ah okay, thanks for clarifying that. I still like MTS as a clean-up crew as they only really come out at night when the lights are off so you don't have to see them.

Back
Top Bottom