Cleaning used AC110 & cycling a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drfu

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just picked up a used 75g and want to clean/disinfect the tank, filter & aquaclear 110. I am planning on using vinegar to clean all surfaces. My questions on cleaning are as follows:

1) Is vinegar good enough for cleaning a used system or should i use some bleach?
2) what is the best way to clean the sponge or do i just buy a new one as i am buying new carbon & biomax anyways?
3) is their anything else i need to worry about from a used tank that needs to be cleaned?

As for cycling this tank here are my plans:
1) clean tank as above
2) take 25% of my gravel from my 36 gallon, my Fluval 206 & a couple of decorations to seed my new tank from.
3) test in 24 hours to see if i get an ammonia or nitrite spike.

My questions are these:
1) is 24 hours long enough to see if this new tank will cycle or could it be like a new set up and take a week or longer?
2) is their anything else i could use to seed from my old tank?

Thanks in advance for any tips

Your 75 G

Hello dr...

If the tank was mine, I'd remove half the filter material from an establish tank and use it to instantly cycle the new one. The filter media will have the greatest concentration of good bacteria. Just add a few fish, so you don't stress the good bacteria and test the tank water just to keep things safe for the fish. Then slowly add fish and keep testing the water until the tank is stocked. You can replace the media you took from the original tank. Just rinse it well with some of your replacement water and then into the tank. The good bacteria reproduces very quickly and will be up to former levels in a few hours.

Cleaning is really easy. I used a 5 gallon bucket filled with a gallon of warm tap water, a sponge and added a couple of tablespoons of standard aquarium salt to the water. I rinsed it all with more, pure tap water.

B

+1 to BBradbury concerning the filter media. Definitely the fastest way to cycle a new tank.
I've always cleaned my tanks with bleach (none of the scented brands). I use hot water (just hot enough to be uncomfortable to the touch), add bleach and let sit until the water reaches room temperature. I then rinse repeatedly and allow whatever I'm cleaning to soak in water with a good dechlorinator.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom