Cloudy Green Water!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjcatlin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was having problem with algae getting on my glass, so I decided to try a phosphate remover pad. It didn't seem to help at all, so I decided to take it out. At the same time, I started doing 25% water changes about every other day. And I was also removing the filter media and rinsing it. Could it be that my biological media is shot? The pump appears to be functioning correctly, I can see and feel the water moving, but it my not be fast enough. The tank is a 60 gallon African Cichlid tank, filter is a Eheim 2215. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
I was having problem with algae getting on my glass, so I decided to try a phosphate remover pad. It didn't seem to help at all, so I decided to take it out. At the same time, I started doing 25% water changes about every other day. And I was also removing the filter media and rinsing it. Could it be that my biological media is shot? The pump appears to be functioning correctly, I can see and feel the water moving, but it my not be fast enough. The tank is a 60 gallon African Cichlid tank, filter is a Eheim 2215. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Pictures of the tank and more info on what setup you have would be great. Lights, light cycle time, substrate, plants, filtration and amount of fish will help. I suspect its due to lighting and nutrients as most algae is. Just switched from 13w bulbs to 10w bulbs and raised lights 2" and bam no more algae in that tank. It is a planted tank though.

Probably got a bump in phosphates. I've tried phosphate removers as well with no success. I keep live plants so phosphates are a must. Decided to go with nerite snails and they keep the tank spotless now. I run at 2ppm phosphates which I believe causes a bit of algea.

Here is what it looks like. The light is a Fluval Aquasky 1200 mm. I attached the lighting information.1533329540336.jpgScreenshot_20180804-053138_FluvalSmart.jpg

In Auto mode, are the lights on ~14 hours per day? That’s a bit much. You could try switching to manual mode and running it only 5-6 hours per day.

Too much light .
Why don't you have the lights ramp up and down instead of just turn on and off?
You could have the sunrise at 7 and full daylight at noon with sunset at 5..
I run my 3.0 with 5 hours ramp up,5 hours daylight [not 100% on any of the colors] and 5 hour sunset. IMO thew blue will be a problem with algae also over time .
Best color for my tank is very little blue ,more pink and then almost equal amounts of cool and daylight @ about 70-80%..

It is really nice. There isn't even a power switch. You have to have s smartphone with the app to use it.

Back
Top Bottom