cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onyx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gal Cichlid tank that just won't clear up. I think since i've had it, a little over a month, it's been clear twice. Once at the very beginning and maybe a couple weeks ago. Now it's cloudy and stays that way. Is that common for a Cichlid tank? Or is my filter just not handling it. I have a Top Fin filter that is rated up to 60gal. I have a couple lava rocks and some decorations with fake plants and gravel. Tried the water clear stuff and it only made it worse. Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated. Oh and I've been doing PWC's anyway because my nitrite levels are still on the high side.

I would suggest that you purchase a canister filter, it has more media and various types of media that the water is forced through. I use to have the same problems and since I bought mine my tank has not been cloudy since, always crystal clear. The brand I purchased was Marineland and have been very satisfied with it.

+1

The topfin filter isnt enough for a cichlid tank. Many companies over rate their filters than what they actually are. Yours only supports 300 gph (only 30 gallons). The bioload on that filter is too much resulting in cloudy water.

Like said, with cichlids, they would do much better with a canister filter. I think 55 gallons is the limit when using HOB filters, any bigger tanks would need a canister. I recommend getting a EHIEM classic canister, they are great.

Thanks guys. I'm looking at the EIHEIM canister filter right now. Do you recommend getting the one rated up to 66al or 92gal?

I'd definitely go foe a canister filter of a sump as it's a cichlid tank and will allow you a greater volume of water. Just to ask you say you had this problem a couple of times, did you do a fishless cycle on your tank?

Were all your water/ ammonia/ nitrate levels at zero or close to when adding the first cichlid and how many did you add at once

Were all your water/ ammonia/ nitrate levels at zero or close to when adding the first cichlid and how many did you add at once
yeah all zero when adding the first fish. Added a Mbuna a couple days later then took out the betta and added a fish or two a week after that.

Thanks guys. I'm looking at the EIHEIM canister filter right now. Do you recommend getting the one rated up to 66al or 92gal?

The one rated for 92 gallons (2217). What kind of cichlids do you have? African or SA/CA cichlids?

The one rated for 92 gallons (2217). What kind of cichlids do you have? African or SA/CA cichlids?
Thanks guys I just ordered the one rated for 92gal. Hopefully that helps. I have 2 assorted afircans, a blue johanni with the yellow female and a jewel with a pleco. Can you add SA cichlids with the africans?

+1 to TB

They have different temperments, water parameters, and requirements making them hard to keep together.

Back
Top Bottom