Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Specbaxter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys
I have a little 5.5 gal tank in my sons room, it has been running for about 2 months now and all the sudden the las couple of days the water turned super cloudy. I do have a larger sw tank, but all the tricks I know are not working. Any advise would be great. Thanks

It's really hard to say what the cause of the cloudiness is without having tests done. I strongly, strongly recommend you get a liquid test set to test ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and PH. Usually, cloudy water means high ammonia, but in my case last night where I got more gravel, a lot of the powder from new gravel as well as rising air bubbles will cause cloudy water but it shouldn't turn "super cloudy" or for a couple days.

I recommend starting daily PWCs until you get the cloudiness down, and get that test kit to see where your levels are at. If ammonia levels are indeed high, you may lose more than just your pretty water.

I have tested
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10-20
Ph good
Alk normal
Maybe trace amounts of calcium
No other metals

Sorry, should have put this in the original post

Most likely a bacteria bloom. PWC each day should resolve it in a few days.

Did you change out your filter media just before it happend?

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

No I actually changed it right after though, I have done 2 25% pwc but I'll try it again, thanks for the advice

Specbaxter said:

No I actually changed it right after though, I have done 2 25% pwc but I'll try it again, thanks for the advice

OK, just an fyi but if your filter is a single stag cartidge, when you replace it al the good bacteria go with it. Also, carbon doesn't clear up a BB. If the filter media is dirty you can rinse it in PWC tank water and reuse it. Using tap water kills the bacteria.

I had this happen a while back (for no reason), I did 2/25% PWC 1 AM/1 PM and it was gone in a couple/three days.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Back
Top Bottom