cloudy water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwrmma

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just a quick question, probably nothing, but i have been filling my 90 gal. tank with ro/di water and started mixing the salt and circulating/heating it to the proper sg, and it appears to be not so clear, but cloudy. is this something that will clear up as i put lr and start circulating it more. maybe the salt hasnt completely dissolved yet. i am using kent sea salt and i mixed it in directly to the tank just over 24 hours ago. thanks.

Please say that there are no fish or living things in your tank. If you are starting up the tank, it is OK to mix water the way you are doing, but not if you have anything living in there. The reason is that the salt takes time to dissolve. If you take a SG reading right after adding salt, it will be a lot different than one taken a day later. The best way to mix water is to get a rubbermaid tub and mix it in there, with a powerhead circulating it. Let he salt dissolve for a day and check the SG. Hope this helps.

no, there is nothing in the tank. will the initial reading be higher or lower than the later reading? and how long will it take for the salt to dissolve to where i know that my sg reading wont move from where i last read it? once i have my sg where i want it, i am planning on adding lr and a shrimp to cycle the tank.
thanks again.

Usually for me at least my sg reading is higher the first time like 1.028 and then it drops to around 1.024. I see it drop after mixing for 24 hours. As Andy said for future water changes make sure you mix it preferably for 24 hours using a ph along with a heater to match the temp of the main in a separate bucket. Your water should clear within a day or two if not sooner.

The initial reading will be higher. I usually get a stable reading in a hour or so. It probably depends on how vigorously you are mixing the water.

Back
Top Bottom