clown loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loman1720

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two clown loaches. One is bigger than the other and they both have been doing awesome I have had them for about a month. I have a sunken ship ornament In my tank and they both like to be In there. When I look In the ship I see the big one laying on its side but when I tap the glass it starts to act normal. Can you please explain this.

I have actually heard that loaches, like clowns, will lay on their side as if they are sleeping. It is a perfectly normal thing.

How big is your tank? I know you said they are doing fine, but if you have room, clown loaches really like to be kept in groups of 5+.

Haha, that's what I was worried about when I first started keepin them too!

Nothing to worry about, they are named clown loaches for more than just their appearance! They lie around sometimes looking as if they are resting, usually just because they can. yesterday I found my clown loach under a large rock, not moving and as you could imagine, I was extremely worried, so I put my hand in the water and went to move the rock, but the little guy just un-wedged himself from under the rock and swam away as if nothing had happened.

They are a very entertaining species of freshwater fish and they have alot of character. Most often if they look like they are in trouble they are usually fine, but it doesn't hurt to help them out of a tough situation like under a rock or something.

Another interesting behaviour is "dancing" where a school of clown loaches will swim up and down the side of the tank, from the substrate to the air and back again. It's just their way of keeping entertained I reckon.

But yeah, nothing to worry about if they are just lying around on the substrate or ornaments.

How small is the smaller one? And does he/she have a sunken stomach?

Hello,

A 30 gallon is way too small for clown loaches. They will need at least a 100+ gallon tank for a proper school ~ 4-6(They get around 10-12 inches each)

It's stomach is plump. And I have 2 clowns and they are going great in my 30 so no need for a 100;)

Hello,

They might be small and doing great now, but soon they will not. If not kept in the right size tank, it could cause stunting to the fish (Very painful for fish). So, I would recommend you either re-home them soon or get a bigger tank

And just be wary of any other clown loaches that you may buy as clown loaches are very susceptible to "skinny disease".

And crypto is right, they do grow to about a foot long, most Fish stores sell you clown loaches without advising you of how big they can get and how big of a tank they need to live in comfort.

I know they get big and thank u for making it clear mate but clowns grow slowly and I am getting a 55 soon so I will move them into that, until they out grow the 55 I have a pet store that will buy them from me.

Clowns actually grow quickly In My Experience, they don't grow slow whatsoever. I just recommend getting them out of that tank soon

loman1720 said:
I know they get big and thank u for making it clear mate but clowns grow slowly and I am getting a 55 soon so I will move them into that, until they out grow the 55 I have a pet store that will buy them from me.

True clowns grow slowly but still if you knew they got bigger and you would eventually have to sell them to an LFS, why'd you buy them???

Because I got them when they were little and I enjoy them in my tank and they are doin awesome now so that's all that matters when they get bigger than we will talk but for now its fine

How large are they right now? I would advise you upgrade ASAP to give them plenty of room. They still need to be in a larger group, even if they don't seem stressed.

You could, however, get a smaller species of loach to go in you 30g when you upgrade the clowns. Pakistani Loaches and Kuhli Loaches are the first that come to mind.

There about 2 inches a piece and money don't grow in trees to I knt just rush out and buy a 100+ tank that ain't gonna happen

Hello,

Well then, you just going to have to return them or give them to someone that has the appropriate home.

loman1720 said:
There about 2 inches a piece and money don't grow in trees to I knt just rush out and buy a 100+ tank that ain't gonna happen

That's understandable. Well you can't sop the inevitable, so enjoy them while you can! :)

I, too understand this. I have to work my butt off for what little money that I get.

However, with all due respect, you shouldn't have bought them if you were not going to be able to keep a proper school of the fish and provided them with an appropriate sized tank.

I think you should get rid of them soon, no matter how much you like them, for the best of the fish.

Back
Top Bottom