Coffee grounds for pH??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KGPoling93

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering if it would be possible to use decaffeinated coffee grounds to lower the pH in an aquarium? I've looked all over and can not find any information on the subject. I did find one article talking about the impact of caffine in rivers and lakes and it concluded that caffine spikes harmful bacteria creating excess nitrate so I would want to use decaf but is there anything wrong with using coffee in a similar way as peat??

I wouldn't go that route. The roasting process might put other things in the water and might give a nasty dark black-water effect.

Once a month I use rooibos tea. Gives a much lighter color and helps with the fish's immunity. But does nothing for pH though.

I wouldn't be roasting it first becasue although the coffee would be decaffeinated it would still contain a small amount of caffine and caffine is better released at higher temperatures. I would be putting it into the tank directly (well in a panty hose or something) and I am hoping that it will lower pH. Also I would be ok will slight discoloration like tannins being released. But thanks for the info on the rooibos tea. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this route before or if anyone knows of any harmful effects coffee would have. Thanks:)

What is your ph now? Most fish can adjust to a wide range of ph. I've heard that drift wood lowers ph though if you want to go that route.

The current pH is about 8.0 which is kind of high for my planted aquarium but thats just what the tap water here is. My tank is already scaped out so I really don't want to add any driftwood unless I have too. I was really just thinking of using coffee because we have enough of it to go around lol and it would save me from having to go buy peat.

Lot's of organic and whole foods like places in my area that carry them :)

Back
Top Bottom