Common Goldfish Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billydreamer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a common goldfish that I've had for about 3 years now. He's about two inches long, head to tail, and I need to get him a new home. Does anyone know of some good tankmates for him that wouldn't mind living in, say a ten gallon tank? I was thinking newts, something that could be totally in the water. Anyone know of something that would fit the bill and would get along with my goldie? I know they will eat just about anything, but I'm not to sure about newts...

Any other cold water fish should be okay, like white cloud mountain minnows. I am not sure about reptiles and amphibians, you will have to wait for someone else. :)
I would look for something bigger than 10 gallons though.

A pleco is always helpful and a blue lobster might be a cool bottom dweller.

Be careful about the blue lobster. I just put one of those in a 15g, with a goldfish that was considerably bigger than the lobster.

Note the "was."

Overnight, on the first night, the blue lobster cut my goldfish to pieces. It was gruesome. If it wasn't the lobster who did it, someone drove a bass boat through my tank while I wasn't looking.

The next time I buy a blue lobster, it goes in a 2000g tank, with sharks and seals. And a referee.

Haha. Wow. Good to know. LFS has them in tanks with fish and seem to have no problem. My 6 month old gold fish are about 3 inches now. They sell small EBL's. Still think it'd be a prob? Definitely avoiding now.

Great....now what do I replace the fiddler with? :)

how in the world do you have a 2" common goldfish thats 3 years old? how big of a tank is it in now?
You can see this post about his harrowing life:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/the-highlander-100778.html

After looking again, he’s probably closer to 2.5” now. He’s in a larger bowl than shown in that post now. It’s a three gallon, which I realize is still too small, but that’s why he’s getting his new home. I just haven’t had the space until now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom