Condensation on the glass prevent the light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sf1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

Does condensation on the glass canopy reduce the light level for LED?
If yes - how mutch?

Thanks

I am sure it would affect it, as in it would act like a filter to a degree. Having said this my LED is still mighty bright. Keep it relatively clean and im sure it won't affect anything in your tank.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm sure it does by scattering, and it can be drastic. I would not be concerned though unless you start losing emitters. Anytime you have an enclosed chamber by water, you'll have condensation somewhere.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

a trick I learned as a kid
take a candle make a zig zag on glass than buff it out
your glass top will never fog again bar soap also works but i"d be afraid of cross contamination if water were to splash on glass

IME my glass top reduces about 15% of my PAR to the substrate. Some but not enough to worry about. Keep it clean and enjoy less top ups or go topless. Your choice. OS.

Anyone know who makes glass canopy tops that will work with All Glass Aquariums 55g with center brace. I just received a Aqueon Versa top that I ordered from Foster @ Smith 2 panels but although they were suppose to work with a 55g they were not even remotely close to being the right size panels?.

Keep it clean and enjoy less top ups or go topless. Your choice. OS.

I thought about going topless but I'm a bit fat. I may still do it. :p
You really need to measure your tank. Some tanks are deeper, some shorter, some wider, some narrower, some fatter (like me), some skinnier. The way the three numbers interact will give you a 55 gallon volume (but expressed in square inches, not gallons). You care about only the length and the width across the top. :fish2:

I thought about going topless but I'm a bit fat. I may still do it. :p
You really need to measure your tank. Some tanks are deeper, some shorter, some wider, some narrower, some fatter (like me), some skinnier. The way the three numbers interact will give you a 55 gallon volume (but expressed in square inches, not gallons). You care about only the length and the width across the top. :fish2:

Lol....Yeah my tank is topless now but I am tired of dust constantly getting in the water so I am hoping to find a glass canopy made for my model as it seems both marineland and aquaeon do not.

Fortunately I'm a married man so there's nothing to worry about. ;)

You may can give a glass man your measurements and him cut it for cheaper than you can buy a cover. Better yet, if you know someone who is getting rid of a pane of glass, you can get a glass cutter wand from the hardware store for a couple bucks and cut it yourself. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom