Confirmation of Specie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
So today, my wife decided to go get me a pair of female platy's, which I was psyched about since my male platy will finally have some company. Unfortunately, I believe she has brought me a female platy and female molly! Quite funny, but not a problem nonetheless because the female molly (we'll assume Molly unless I'm wrong) is quite gorgeous, and appears to be dalmation lyre-tail style so I'm cool with this. I've attached pictures of both.

The only hangup I have about both being platy is that I know it's more common in platy's for the dorsal fin to start after the hump in their back, and they are more triangular whereas molly's are flatter and the dorsal fin tends to start nearer the head.

Attachments

• 101_0925.jpg
    101_0925.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 101_0923.jpg
    101_0923.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 58
yep, i'm pretty sure that's a molly :) other than the reasons you stated above, i dont think platys come in dalmation lyretail form xD

Yep, wife felt bad for a while but she got consolation...female platy we got looks pretty far pregnant, and when I acquired the second female platy she also appeared quite gravid. Hoping for fry

Back
Top Bottom