Converting 55 gal to planted-Need Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjsuper76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 55 gallon tank that I am about to re-do into a planted tank.

I have 40lbs of black Eco-Complete and 40 lbs of Carib Sea Tahiatian Moon Sand. I plan on mixing these together....that will work, right?

Can anyone tell me if this is a good lighting system?
Amazon.com: 48 in. WavePoint T5 HO Lighting System - 4 x 54W: Kitchen & Dining

there are no reviews on the product page. Would this provide good lighting for plants and in your experience is it a good company/product?

I dont want to do CO2 if I dont have too....can i just get some Sea Chem Flourish and root tabs?

I really really want to have some cichlids in the tank...can anyone recommend some plants that should survive?

I think it would be a good fixture... but it is a lot of light if you are wanting to avoid CO2 and a heavy fert regiment. You need about half that wattage of T5HO if you aren't wanting to inject CO2.

EDIT: It looks like 2 of the 4 bulbs are Actinic bulbs. These emit blue light which will make the tank look nice, but will not contribute to plant growth... so, if you stuck with the 4 stock bulbs it come with, you would not have to inject CO2.

If later on you decide you want to get into higher light and CO2 injection, you could swap the 2 actinic bulbs for 2 more 6500K-10000K daylight bulbs.

The other 2 bulbs are 12000K... probably just fine for growing plants, but a little higher color temp than is generally recommended for planted tanks.

I have a 12k bulb on my 37gal. When I bought my Nova extreme, they only had the saltwater setup with the Actinic bulb in stock at my LFS and I of course wanted the Freshwater plant bulb, so they offered to replace the Actinic bulb with a plant growth bulb and ended up putting a 12k bulb in as well because they said that Current USA dropping 10,000k bulbs in favor of 12,000k. I wonder if that is true or they were just feeding me BS?

It might be true. 12000K would start to look a little bit blue wouldn't it, or not?

I think it would be fine for growing plants... The difference between a 10000K and 12000K is not too dramatic.

Thanks for the website! that light is alot cheaper. So what color temp is good for this? 6700 or 10000? Should both bulbs be white?

looking at a 4ft/4 bulb T5/HO set up for my tank. The website doesnt offer 4 white bulbs....says I can do 3 white and 1 pink?

what is the pink one for?

the pink one is probably around 6500K. It should be fine. A lot of the plant gro bulbs are pink. Look for the color temps to be sure.

What do you guys think? good price? would 3 white 6700 and 1 pink 6500 put me into medium light plants in a 55 gallon tank?

4Ft/4Bulbs fixture

Item# 4F4B
$149.99
Bulb choice:
Color Temp For the White bulbs:
This item is currently out of stock!
Product Description

Aluminum body is lightweight, heavy duty and rust proof Accommodates ultra efficient,

External Ballasts

high output T-5 lamps Included 4 x 54w bulbs

2 switches and 2 power-cords,so you can use timer

Cool operation and NO noise

48"L x 9"W x 3" high

Mounting Leg : Included

save electronic

*you can hang it if your want (hanging kit is not included)

*this fixture doesn't have any LED.

That is high light. It will mean injecting CO2 and ferts become necessary to keep the tank from becoming an algae haven. If you want to go this route, it is a great fixture. It will grow about any aquatic plant out there. If you just want medium light plants, you only need a 2X54W T5HO fixture.

Oh thank you. I am not ready for CO2 yet. I think I want some experience with a planted tank before I drop $300 on a pressurized CO2 system.

So this light is good with 2 white 6700K bulbs for a medium light tank:
T5-ho 4ft / 2LAMP Aquarium lighting

Item# t5ho-4ft--2lamp-aquarium-light
$89.99
Bulb choice:
Color Temp For the White bulbs:

Product Description

Aluminum body is lightweight, heavy duty , rust proof

Accommodates ultra efficient, high output T-5 lamps

Included 2 x 54w bulbs

1 switches and 1 power-cords Cool operation and NO noise

48" L x 5" W x 2.5 inches high

Mounting Leg : Included

save electronic

So I found yet another possible light for my 55 gallon planted tank.

I know you said that 4 x54W would be too much light for a med light planted tank, but if this one has 2x 54W T5 HO lamps Actinic Blue bulbs they wont increase the need for CO2 and ferts....right? plus this model comes with blue LED moon lighting and if in the future, I decided to go with higher light, it would be as simple as switching out a couple of bulbs....right?

so my question is do you guys have any experience with this company? are they any good? for the price listed here?

Odyssea 48" 216W (4x 54W) T5 HO Light Fixture Extendable Series

Alternative Views:

Reg Price $98.90

Stock Status:In Stock

Product Code: 52305
Qty:

Description Fixture Specs

Features:
Dimensions - 47.50" x 7.50" x 2.15" (2.65" with brackets)
Extendable to 52" long max with bracket
Supports 4x 54W T5 High Output lamps
Supports 4x Bluemoon LED
Quick disconnect ballast
Individual power cords for each function
Non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
Reflector
Acrylic splash guard
CE Certified
Package includes:
1x 48" T5 Quad fixture
2x 54W T5 HO lamps 10000K (Free Item)
2x 54W T5 HO lamps Actinic Blue (Free Item)
4x LED(Free Item)

You are correct.

I remember hearing a complaint about that fixture years ago... Overheating.

However have heard good reports since.

I know it's an older thread, but I was also looking at this odyssea fixture. Did you end up getting that one? If so do you like it or does anyone else have any comments on the brand itself??

Back
Top Bottom