Converting tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbk.o4

Aquarium Advice Freak
So a few months back (september) my family and i made a major move from Indiana to Connecticut. I broke down my tank that had just started to really develop for this move. Was not really happy that i had to do it, but it had to be done. The tank and the fish all made it out here without problems, no broken equipment, no tank cracks, all the fish seemed find after the move, only thing was the tank hood came to get a few scratches during the move but oh well, ill sand it down and re-stain it and seal it again.

Well after a month or so i lost one of my gouramis, then the other, then a few of the tiger barbs... I am down to just my 2 Bristlenose Plecos, Rainbow Shark, Boesemani Rainbow, 2 Tiger Barbs, a whole ton of MTS, and i do not know if my ACF is still in there...he is very scarce to be seen, i thought i had lost him before i moved, but when i cleaned everything out of the tank i noticed him in some rocks just hiding...so he may still be with me or not, i really have no way of finding out..

So after losing all those i have decided that i want to get some fish that are more hardy than the gouramis were, and i do not want aggressive fish like the barbs anymore. So i am lookin for suggestions on a fish that is very active and schools like the barbs but not aggressive, and also get a pair of nice "center piece" fish (for complete lack of a better term at the moment). Im going to be doing another major move of the tank back to Indiana in a few weeks, and after i get it completely redone i will start restocking again.

The only things that wont be in the tank after the move are the barbs, which will be going into a friends tank. (he already has quite a few, and has he tank set up very well for aggressive fish)

...and i just realized how long that post was to ask a simple question...

You've so many options for that size tank. Danios and rasboras come to mind. The hardiest schooling fish that I've kept has to be black neons. Although they aren't true neons they school tightly and look terrific in a large school.

How big is this tank?

A great active schooling fish would be Praecox Rainbows. I agree with Brian, Danios and Rasporas are also wonderful fish. How about some Tetras, maybe Congos if your tank is large enough. I have a group of Pearl Gouramis in my 300 and I find them to be very hardy. What kind of Gouramis did you have? Also Rosy Barbs are colorful, active and hardy, wow, I could go on forever :)

rasboras and red fin tetra are good in schools and look nice thats the way im going

Thanks for the help. It would be the 55g in my comment. I was looking at these gettin a male and female Lemon Cobra Guppy, and maybe a school of true rummynose tetras, or green fire tetras...

How big of a school would those need to be kept in? I was thinking about 6 or 8..

Also i was wondering if it would work out trying to get another Boesemani Rainbow, the one i have now i have had for a while though, idk how well it would pair with another one..(the one i have now is most definately male IMO, it is the vibrant blue and yellow, and i hear the females are a more silver color)

yeah that post confused me..

was that they love to be in schools of around 15? if so how big would they get and how quick, because i really dont have plans on gettin a bigger tank than the 55 for a while (most likely until i get a house in a couple years..) The next tank upgrade i did would probably be a sw tank.

in groups of 15 they stay a lot tighter the rasboras that is. i had less in a group they school ok but when there in bigger groups it seems they school tighter. sorry i forgot to explain a little more my brain don't work good all the time lol

Back
Top Bottom