Copperband picked at brain coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I hope he was just curious. Any ideas? I know he cleaned out my feather dusters but I knew that would happen. If he does it more there will be a copperband for sale. :( I just got him were he will eat anything too. Even flake.

They are generally considered to be "polyp pickers" although I have saw a few people w/ them in reefs. They are not considered "reef safe".
"The Copperband Butterfly is also known to pick at most Large Polyp Stony coral polyps, Feather Dusters and Fanworms as food." -from marinedepotlive.com HTH
Edit-I see your other post about things slowing down- you have not even started :p

Our tangs will occassionally "pick" at our brain but they don't do it any harm. Annoy it a tad, but for the most part they get along happily. Think of it as a cleaning :) Hopefully that's all your CBB is doing.

I hope he is just nosey. He has not touched the zoos, buttons, etc He did take a bite of the xenia but has not bothered it since. He immediately got fed some bloodworms after he did it.

I had to return mine, he did the same with one of my brains and ate a couple of polyps from my Turbinaria, he had to go, it was beautiful but I don't like fishes that mess with my corals, even though I love fishes. If he aquires the taste for corals there will be no going back, it will always pick on those corals and they will perish with time. Its really a 50/50 chance on these guys but I got the 50% I didn't want to :( ... If you like LPS then you might consider returning it, if you don't mind the Copperband to picking on them keep it...
Best regards and good luck!!

my tangs did in my brain coral...picked at it to its final demise.

Hey...at least its eating :p
Keep an eye on it. Mine cleaned out my feather dusters but has not touched anything else. You may have a "bad seed".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom