CPO and Shrimp all dying off! Help??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Critterlvrok

Aquarium Advice Activist
I set up a new 5g tank in my office about 10 weeks ago. I seeded it from my home tank and cycled it prior to adding any inhabitants. The pH of the water in the office is lower the what I have at home but it seems to be stable so a took a gamble...a big one appartently. I added 3 CPO and 5 Tiger Shrimp to my tank exactly a month ago. Along with 2 nerite snails and 2 female betta. It is planted with Hornwort, pennywort, anubis nana, ricca flutans and java moss. I have not had any problems until last week. I noticed several of the Tiger shrimp were lethargic and laying exposed at the bottom of the tank. I didn't become to concerned because I originally thought that they were most likely victims of the CPO. Friday I did my usual 25% water change and when I got to work on monday I found that one of the CPO had completed a molt. I again did a 25% water change and everyone looked happy. I did again notice my last tiger shrimp being lethargic but again worried that it was due to the CPO. When I got in this morning I found 2 of my CPO dead, laying on their backs in plain sight, both appear to be recently dead (not stiff/no color change) but I have never had dead CPO before so not sure what to expect from them.

I tested my water params: Ammonia 0, Trites 0, Trates 40. ( I can only explain this by the loss of Shrimp and a resulting Ammonia spike last week after the deaths.) pH is 5.5 I know this is low but it is stable and I thought that they would aclimate to it. The water is very hard and I have added a cuttle bone to the tank as well.

Is it the pH or the nitrates taking out my CPO? suggestions? I really need to try to save the remaining CPO. He/she appears to be happy and is crawling all over the tank and I believe this is the CPO with the recent molt.

I only have a 1 gal container at the office and the water here is quite cold coming out of the faucet. So the max I can do and allow the water to warm to room temp is 1g at a time, I could however do more if the drastic temp change wont make matters worse. Please any advice? I am raising Cajun Dwarf Cray at home and my pH at home is 7.8 and stable. Should I just move him to that tank?

I did a 40% wc and now the remaining cray is acting lethargic. And I seem to still be getting a 40 trate reading. I'm across the solution has gotten old or I've done it wrong. So I'm thinking maybe it's not nitrates.

Are there nitrates in your tap water? There shouldn't be much because you said you were on a city setup. Have you removed the chlorine/chloramine with Prime or any other dechlorinator?

I use prime with each water change and I just checked the trates from the tap and yes it's high. This is awful. I'm going for bottled water right now to see if that helps

Critterlvrok said:
I use prime with each water change and I just checked the trates from the tap and yes it's high. This is awful. I'm going for bottled water right now to see if that helps

Use half and half. Bottled will be to expensive

Buy gallons of purified water. Some stores have an RO system and a self fill station for about $0.30 per gallon.

Back
Top Bottom