Crawfish Id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeremy S.

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know what species of crawdad this is? I have 3 of the same kind. They were wild caught as babies.

Attachments

• image-2315782017.jpg
    image-2315782017.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 94
  • image-2586072624.jpg
    image-2586072624.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3555585611.jpg
    image-3555585611.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 89
  • image-1231644652.jpg
    image-1231644652.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 86
  • image-4076090562.jpg
    image-4076090562.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 96
Could be a rusty. Certainly looks like one. But I don't think we can 100% discount procambarus clarkii or p. alleni. Where were they caught? You could check with state departments to see which species are common in the area. Also, how old and how big Re they, roughly?

Judging by the claw size and the 2 dark blotches on the top of their exo I'd bet on rusty... tho you have a point clarkii's are very similar.
Eastern U.S.?

Yes Eastern US. Middle Tennessee to be exact. The biggest one I caught as a .5" baby and is currently around 5"+ easy.

Here's a photo of their home. They breed like crazy in this area. Tank they're in also is my guppy breeding tank. I was hoping to breed the crawdads but don't know how to sex them. Conditions seem optimal for them.

Attachments

• image-1052298075.jpg
    image-1052298075.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 72
I don't know if this applies to all crawdads but with the species I have worked with, the makes have to hockey stick shaped appendages at the very base of the tail where the first swimmerets are.

Generally female crays swimmerettes are more dense, longer and thinner to help secure eggs when they're berried.

Omg thank you guys! I usually am over on the SW side of the forum but my roots are in freshwater and I enjoying breeding animals. Thanks for the help again.

I love crawdads and have kept two species. But I love planted tanks more, and both of mine liked to clip my plants. Lol. Not eat, just clip. Rooted became floating. Every day. Lol

Yea I know the feeling. I had a couple in a planted tank and every single day I wAs replanting hAlf the tank.

My first crawdad was named Cranky. He was a little orange jerk. But I loved watching him. Once when doing a massive water change/rescape I put all the fish in buckets but set him in a pot. On the stove. He looked like he was already precooked. He was unamused by the joke.
And no, I didn't actually cook him. Lol

My first crawdad was named Cranky. He was a little orange jerk. But I loved watching him. Once when doing a massive water change/rescape I put all the fish in buckets but set him in a pot. On the stove. He looked like he was already precooked. He was unamused by the joke.
And no, I didn't actually cook him. Lol

FUNNY!!! Throw in some potatoes and corn on the cob and we have a feast!

Back
Top Bottom