Cycle 6 weeks in- still no nitrites! Help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spaullba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I am now about 6 weeks into my cycle, and despite ammonia levels of 1-2 ppm for weeks, I am not getting any nitrite at all.

Tank info-
*20 gallon
* 4 Zebra Danios in tank for cycling
* Hang on back Aqueon quiet flow 50 (note- I originally had the Aqueon 30, but switched to the 50 2 weeks in, I put the filter media of the 30 in with the 50 for a few days)
* 78 degrees
* pH of 7.6
* KH of 80 & GH of ~150

I have been doing 25% water changes 1x daily, sometimes twice; treating the water with API conditioner. I also recently treated the tank with Prime as I was getting worried about the ammonia.

ALSO, I began adding Seachem Stability to the tank a couple of days ago in hopes of giving the bacteria a kick-start.

Is there anything I could be doing wrong?

Should I try to raise the temperature by buying a new heater (mine only allows for a set temp of 78 degrees...)?

Could the GH, KH or pH be having an impact?

Should I add additional aeration? I figured having a Aqueon 50 in a 20 gallon tank would be plenty of O2...

I have been trying to be patient but at this point I feel like I should really have nitrites.. The fish seem healthy with regular behavior. Perhaps some slight gill redness, but that could be in my head.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

So, I am now about 6 weeks into my cycle, and despite ammonia levels of 1-2 ppm for weeks, I am not getting any nitrite at all.

Tank info-
*20 gallon
* 4 Zebra Danios in tank for cycling
* Hang on back Aqueon quiet flow 50 (note- I originally had the Aqueon 30, but switched to the 50 2 weeks in, I put the filter media of the 30 in with the 50 for a few days)
* 78 degrees
* pH of 7.6
* KH of 80 & GH of ~150

I have been doing 25% water changes 1x daily, sometimes twice; treating the water with API conditioner. I also recently treated the tank with Prime as I was getting worried about the ammonia.

ALSO, I began adding Seachem Stability to the tank a couple of days ago in hopes of giving the bacteria a kick-start.

Is there anything I could be doing wrong?

Should I try to raise the temperature by buying a new heater (mine only allows for a set temp of 78 degrees...)?

Could the GH, KH or pH be having an impact?

Should I add additional aeration? I figured having a Aqueon 50 in a 20 gallon tank would be plenty of O2...

I have been trying to be patient but at this point I feel like I should really have nitrites.. The fish seem healthy with regular behavior. Perhaps some slight gill redness, but that could be in my head.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi Spaullba:

Sounds like you're doing everything right. The water hardness usually doesn't have an impact on the beneficial bacteria, and your ph is actually quite good for them. Yes, if you could gradually raise the temp up into the low '80s that might help, and your danios should be fine if the increase is done very slowly. If you don't feel like buying a new heater just yet, though, I wouldn't worry about it.

Extra aeration never hurts during cycling, but in a small tank like your with an HOB filter there's no need to run out and by air pump just to aerate.

Did you use a bacterial additive or booster at the outset, or is the Stability the first bacteria product you've added? Are you running any chemical media in your filter right now?

You might try easing up on the water changes just a bit, since the Prime will help protect the danios from ammonia poisoning if you use it every day or so.

There's really no predicting how long a cycle will take to establish. I know of folks who had a full cycle after three weeks, and others who took three months. There are just so many variables from situation to situation that it's really hard to say. It may be just a matter of patience at this point. If you really start getting frustrated, then perhaps you could try a different bacterial additive. Many folks on the forum have reported good results with Tetra's SafeStart.

Hi Spaullba:

Sounds like you're doing everything right. The water hardness usually doesn't have an impact on the beneficial bacteria, and your ph is actually quite good for them. Yes, if you could gradually raise the temp up into the low '80s that might help, and your danios should be fine if the increase is done very slowly. If you don't feel like buying a new heater just yet, though, I wouldn't worry about it.

Extra aeration never hurts during cycling, but in a small tank like your with an HOB filter there's no need to run out and by air pump just to aerate.

Did you use a bacterial additive or booster at the outset, or is the Stability the first bacteria product you've added? Are you running any chemical media in your filter right now?

You might try easing up on the water changes just a bit, since the Prime will help protect the danios from ammonia poisoning if you use it every day or so.

There's really no predicting how long a cycle will take to establish. I know of folks who had a full cycle after three weeks, and others who took three months. There are just so many variables from situation to situation that it's really hard to say. It may be just a matter of patience at this point. If you really start getting frustrated, then perhaps you could try a different bacterial additive. Many folks on the forum have reported good results with Tetra's SafeStart.

Thank you very much.

I only just started the Stability. No chemical media in the filter. It has a carbon filter and that's it other than the other various plastic components.

I will try doing a water change every 2-3 days and use the Prime daily. There is no potential harm in that? Should I dose the prime for the full 20 gallons every day, mixed in a smaller amount of water first? I was a bit unsure from the directions on the bottle.

I am going to hold off on a new heater or aeration system for now.

Thank you very much.

I only just started the Stability. No chemical media in the filter. It has a carbon filter and that's it other than the other various plastic components.

I will try doing a water change every 2-3 days and use the Prime daily. There is no potential harm in that? Should I dose the prime for the full 20 gallons every day, mixed in a smaller amount of water first? I was a bit unsure from the directions on the bottle.

I am going to hold off on a new heater or aeration system for now.
Hi Spaullba:

No, there's no harm in adding the Prime daily; in fact, they recommend daily use for protection against ammonia and nitrite poisoning. You can just add the proper dose to the tank.

I'm not sure how long it takes the bacteria in Stability to start working (I've never used the product) but if you just added it then it will likely be awhile before you see any impact.

Hi Spaullba:

No, there's no harm in adding the Prime daily; in fact, they recommend daily use for protection against ammonia and nitrite poisoning. You can just add the proper dose to the tank.

I'm not sure how long it takes the bacteria in Stability to start working (I've never used the product) but if you just added it then it will likely be awhile before you see any impact.

So the Prime can be added right in to the tan with fish in it, it doesn't need to be mixed with water first?

Thanks again

Hi spaullba ,
I ve been having the same problem with one of my tanks. I started cycling it 5weeks ago and still no nitrites yet, I added the API quick start about a week ago, but no change in the levels yet. I've decided to quit worrying about it so much, it will work itself out eventually. I'm going to do my water changes to keep the ammonia at .25 ppm or less and keep an eye on my fish. I think sometimes I get a little too obsessive about it. Good luck with your tank.

Fish in cycle for me took around 2 and a half months. Stay patient and it will happen, one day you will test and it will happen in just takes longer with the fish in.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Just do what your doing currently and it will happen, patience is all you need

So the Prime can be added right in to the tan with fish in it, it doesn't need to be mixed with water first?

Thanks again
Mixing it with a bit of water first is not a bad idea (probably helps it to distribute around the tank faster) but I always just add mine directly to the tank water and let the current take care of it.

Guys-

Still no nitrates after 3 months now!

I slowed down my water changes to about 20% every 2nd or 3rd day instead of daily and used Prime on off days of changing. Still nothing.

Fish are healthy and happy, but we are getting impatient here.

I bought an adjustable heater and plan to slowly bring the water temp up a bit (what would be good? 81 or 82 degrees for danios?).

Is there anything else I could do?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom