Cycle Advice - 3 Months and still high ammonia/nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tap, tap, tap...thats all I hear anymore. Softeners, hard water, well water...its important to know where your water is coming from...who thinks to test their tap???...RO water and many trips to the H20 store to fill my 5 gallon bottles...determine your fishies...harder or softer...brackish or not...overcrowded? Planted or no? Also healthy plants or no?

Hi Fishdaddy78, I've reached out to my water company and they slated home test kits and their inaccuracy. which is fair enough, they're not the greatest. They've said that the Water Quality Team will be in touch. So hopefully I'll get some more concrete answers on the quality of the tap water itself.

In terms of your other questions:

"determine your fishies..." - 4 male guppies and 1 small mollie - we got rid of a bigger one last week as it was being too aggressive with the others.

"harder or softer..." - not 100% sure as i haven't tested this, but i think its relatively hard water.

"brackish or not..." - i've been adding a small amount of salt to the water occasionally during WC, using it as a tonic.

"overcrowded?" - nope. its a 40 ltr tank, which i was told should have room for a few more fish. I'm hoping to add 5 tetras in the future.

"Planted or no?" - our plants are plastic. But i did recently add in a Java Moss ball. I plan to introduce some real plants to see if these will help absorb some of the nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom