Cycled sponge filters from Angel Plus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jrdpitt46

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wasn't clear with my original title. I saw from a website called Angel Plus that they sell cycled sponge filters. There is also a YouTube video. Has any one tried them? He claims that by running this filter your aquarium is instantly cycled. Any thoughts?

I wasn't clear with my original title. I saw from a website called Angel Plus that they sell cycled sponge filters. There is also a YouTube video. Has any one tried them? He claims that by running this filter your aquarium is instantly cycled. Any thoughts?

Angels plus has a good reputation. In theory, if they take a used sponge filter out of one of their tanks and send it to you, than yes it will allow you to place the cycled filter into your tank and you'll be cycled (in essence you dont cycle an aquarium so much as cycle a filter.....but thats semantics I suppose). However, the same danger applies as with bottled bacteria. Bacteria is living and needs to stay living from when it leaves their tank and gets to yours. That means it has to stay wet, cant see extreme temps (which shipping can sometimes see crazy swings like in a plane), and cant go too long without an ammonia source.

I live in Pa so it should take no more than 2 days to arrive from NY. So with the cool spring weather it should be ok?

I live in Pa so it should take no more than 2 days to arrive from NY. So with the cool spring weather it should be ok?

It was 28 here in NY today so I'd be a bit concerned! I'd at least talk to angels plus about it. See what their experience has been. Find out how they prepare, package and ship these things. If they treat them like you would ship live fish then it might be ok. Still risky if you ask me. Depending on how bad you want/need this maybe you could take the drive from PA to NY; or, find a better source for a seeded filter. Maybe a friend with a fishtank? Or a LFS close to you may be willing to sell you a filter out of a tank?

Back
Top Bottom