cycled vs well established

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Two of the fish I'm considering (otto and GBR) suggest that I have a well established aquarium. What exactly is the difference between that and a cycled aquarium?

If it's properly cycled, you'll have the bacteria necessary to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels at a constant 0. So, assuming that well established means additional time that you must wait after it's been properly cycled, what exactly do you gain with this additional time?

A well established aquarium will be less prone to sudden spikes or swings in water parameters, which those two species of fish are apparently extra sensitive to.

Viper said:
A well established aquarium will be less prone to sudden spikes or swings in water parameters, which those two species of fish are apparently extra sensitive to.

What spikes and swings in water parameters should I be aware of that my tank could still be vulnerable to in a cycled-only and not well-established aquarium? Unless I give my bacteria a chlorine cocktail, they shouldn't just die off, right?

I guess I'm just having a hard time discerning the difference between the two.

IMO it means it has been many months since any significant issues with water quality or parameters. You don't simply add sensitive fish once the nitrite is back to 0. Most likely you will have some issues in the next couple months. If not then you are lucky and take good care of your tank. If so you will be happy you waited.

I prefer bristlenose plecos over ottos. They are much hardier and because of their size are MUCH more effective.

Fishguy2727 said:
IMO it means it has been many months since any significant issues with water quality or parameters. You don't simply add sensitive fish once the nitrite is back to 0. Most likely you will have some issues in the next couple months. If not then you are lucky and take good care of your tank. If so you will be happy you waited.

I wasn't aware that there still could be some issues with my tank over the next month. Good to know.

Fishguy2727 said:
I prefer bristlenose plecos over ottos. They are much hardier and because of their size are MUCH more effective.

I wasn't sure that anything-pleco would be wise in a 20g tank, which is why I was leaning toward ottos.

Bristlenose should be fine. Worst case scenario you get one that gets very large for bristlenoses much faster than usual and you may have to find it a larger tank. However, I think this is extremely unlikely. I have seen wild caught ones larger than I would put in a 20, but I can't think of any grown out in tanks that would be too large for a 20. Maybe someone out there has one, but it is rare IME.

Until you really get things running well for a while it is very possible that something will pop up. A young tank has growing fish, is getting new stock frequently, and the aquarist is constantly adjusting his water changes to match this. This is when the tank is the least stable it will ever be most likely (hopefully). Because of this I would wait on the rams until the tank has had no problems for at least 2-3 months. Rams are sensitive and it seems that most are bred in Asia. Unfortunately these Asian bred rams have a horrible track record. I suggest you try to find a local breeder or a shop that you can trust when they say the rams didn't come from Asia. Even then it is better to wait until the rams have been in the shop for a few weeks and are eating well on prepared foods. You may have to put a deposit on them (most rams will sell fast in any LFS), but it will be worth it to get the RIGHT rams.

Back
Top Bottom