Cycling: 30 Days and No Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My cycle is off to a bad start. I've been doing a fish-in cycle with cherry barbs and danios for 30 days and here are my readings:

Ammonia: .5 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
Ph: 7.5

I even tried Dr. Tim's Bacteria, but the only change I observed was $20 less in my wallet.

I've been doing partial water changes every 3 days to keep the ammonia between .25 - .5 ppm.

What to do now? Do I just keep waiting, or should I start suspecting something is wrong?

I am in the same boat. But, I think you want to keep ammonia BELOW .25 PPM and hopefully not over. Some (most days) I am doing 2 50% pwcs.

I am in the same boat. But, I think you want to keep ammonia BELOW .25 PPM and hopefully not over. Some (most days) I am doing 2 50% pwcs.

+1 to h2oskierc. With fish in the tank you definitely want to keep ammonia below 0.25, not over, otherwise your fish are suffering (well, more than they are with any ammonia in the tank at all). Good luck.

Also, cycling with fish can take a long time because you need to keep the ammonia down so low. It could take at least a few months from what I understand, so don't get discouraged and keep up with the testing and water changes.

Thanks for the support. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully I'll see some changes in the next week or so.

Just hit 40 days and still no Nitrites. I'm actually considering starting up a small 5 gallon tank with a fishless cycle and hoping that will cycle in about 2 weeks. Then maybe I can seed the gravel (or put some of my bio balls in there for a week and then put then back in my main tank).

5x5 said:
Just hit 40 days and still no Nitrites. I'm actually considering starting up a small 5 gallon tank with a fishless cycle and hoping that will cycle in about 2 weeks. Then maybe I can seed the gravel (or put some of my bio balls in there for a week and then put then back in my main tank).

Are there any changes with how fast / slow the the ammonia is rising? Another good option you have is to add a bunch of live plants. They'll help absorb the ammonia and keep things safer for your fish while you work through the cycle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom