Cycling- Nitrates@zero

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piethon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to this community and to proper freshwater aquarium keeping so I could use some help with my tank's cycling, please. :)
I have a 5.5 gallon aquarium with black sand substrate, a heater that is at 80 degrees F, 2 amazon sword plants, 10+ frogbit plants, and a filter that has a pre filter sponge on the intake.
it's been 9 days since i started the water cycle and 6 days since I added ammonium chloride + nitrifying bacteria so my water is as follows:
pH- 7.6
Ammonia- 4.0 ppm
Nitrite- .50-1.0 ppm
Nitrate- 0ppm
It was just today that I realized I've been taking my nitrate tests wrong! (forgot to shake the actual #2 bottle up before doing the drops) I did the nitrate test again after shaking and tapping vigorously, and my nitrates are still at 0ppm! I've read somewhere that having too much plants in a tank could snatch up the nitrates as fast/faster than they are produced, could that be whats happening? or is it my nitrate bottle?

It is possible that the nitrates are being consumed by the plants and are below the test's detection level. However, since this is a relatively new setup, more likely it's because the nitrite-to-nitrate conversion has not started yet (may take weeks).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it's only been about 2 weeks, I think the source of the problem is that you haven't given nature enough time to take its course. I've cycled 3 tanks from scratch (always fish in) and it usually takes about 30 - 45 days to see nitrites and another 15 days before I see solid nitrate readings. 2 months for the whole process.

Using the nitrate bottle appropriately is important for good readings, but keep in mind that you shouldn't be getting high ammonia, Nitrites and nitrate readings at the same time. Ammonia readings will approach 0 by the time nitrates start showing up. Good luck and be patient.

Back
Top Bottom