Cycling questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Let me start by saying that my 20 gallon was established until I moved and let the filters dry and the bacteria die. I messed up by putting platys in right away and lost them. After that I decided that I needed to cycle it again. I put a raw shrimp in for 2 days but couldn't stand the smell. I went and got ammonia to cycle that way. I tested the water before I took the shrimp out. I had .25 ammonia. 0 nitrite and nitrate. The next day I started putting in ammonia. I dosed to 2 ppm ammonia and 24 hours later my numbers were .25 ammonia 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate. I was wondering how the nitrate is at 20 without seeing a nitrite spike? I'm using the API liquid test. I dosed ammonia to 4 ppm tonight and will check tomorrow to see where I'm at. I've read many articles on cycling and I don't understand how I have nitrate without seeing a nitrite spike. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Do you have sand in the tanks as sand, especially the fine stuff, can develop air pockets where bacteria live. when the pockets burst, they release a gas which may be increasing nitrite levels.

You mention moving. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? What do they read? I suspect one or all may be present in your tap and this would account for the nitrate reading. Did you reuse your old substrate?

I changed substrate from gravel to sand to make a better habitat for Cory's. I tested the water before I moved and the only difference is that it is harder. Other than that everything was the same as my old water.

Back
Top Bottom