Cycling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xxaprilrose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have. 37 gallon tank I’m doing a fishless cycle now. I know this can take 6-8 weeks but I’m already getting impatient and it’s only been three days lol. My question is, can I just add a betta fish to do a fish in cycle? Is it too late? Currently ammonia is at 4ppm but obv I can do a water change if I get the betta. And also how long do fish In cycles take? Will one betta be enough? I heard u need about three fish. Also will ammonia have to be 0 when I add the fish or 2ppm? (I assume 0 but just making sure). This tank will not house a betta when it’s cycled but betta is prob the only type of fish I can make up a tank for when this current one is cycled.

Do a 100% water change, get ammonia and nitrite at 0ppm before you move to a fish in cycle.

Do you need any guidance on fish in cycle?

Typically you start a fish in cycle with 1 small fish per 10 gallons. You also need to be mindful on stocking sufficient numbers of social fish, so 5 or 6 tetras for instance might be good numbers to start a fish in cycle on a 37g.

What are your stocking plans for the tank? This might guide you towards what fish to use to start your cycle with. Starting with the betta might bring problems as you will then subsequently be adding fish into a tank where the betta has already established territory.

Edit. Unless you have plans to keep the betta dont use it to start a cycle. Dont cycle with fish you have no plans for when you are cycled.

Edit 2. From start to being fully cycled and fully stocked can take longer than a fishless cycle. One of the advantages of a fishless cycle is you can dose high levels of ammonia, get the cycle fully established more quickly, and get a moderately stocked tank as soon as your tank is cycled.

Back
Top Bottom