Cycling With Angelfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annaleigh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello! this is my first post!
so. i have a 39gal Aqueon kit. set up about 4-5 days ago. yesterday i went to my lfs to get some filter media to start a fishless cycle but they had just cleaned their filters! so the owner convinced me to leave with 2 juvi zebra Angelfish, 3 months old (3-4" or so) (insisting they were as strong as the tetras or guppies i suggested) they are locally bred and accustomed to our water hardness and ph.

they survived the night (hiding) and even began exploring after i gave them some food this morning!

while i was at work, my grandpa went out and got 2 albino catfish (about 2.5") , 1 molly (3") and 3 tiny guys that i can't identify (1.5") as a surprise! i had no idea! and they were from PETLAND! D:

can i get some support while i cycle???
the ph is around 7.5
temp around 76-78
no ammonia yet (api liquid test)
no nitrite (api 5 in 1 strips)
i think a small amount of nitrate (api 5 in 1)

im feeding small amounts once a day, just did a water change today after adding the new additions and testing the water twice a day. also added some Prime after getting a higher wated hardness reading.

will they survive?? what should i watch for? ive been a nervous wreck since bringing home the angels. i thought they werent hardy enough, and the internet is fueling my anxiety! however the owner of lfs insists they will be fine.

I would definitely get som Tetra Safe Start. You can usually get it at most pet stores, even Walmart.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I would definitely get som Tetra Safe Start. You can usually get it at most pet stores, even Walmart.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

okay! ill grab some today

Fishobsessed7

can i get established bacteria from my lfs tank instead?

update: day 3, fish seem okay! ammonia slightly decetable with api master but not a full .25 - ill say .10 of ammonia and no nitrite.

the tiny guys are neon tetras i just got told!

is a small pinch of flakes 1x day enough for everyone? i dont want to over do it

can i get established bacteria from my lfs tank instead?

You could check with them to see if they can give/sell established media. Floss or filter cartridge or even gravel (the latter you can put into a nylon bag instead of decorate your tank with it).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom