Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arcticmoon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,

I have been cycling my 70 litre tank for about six weeks. I've cycled with fish and haven't lost a single one. Anyway, I'm using an API liquid test kit. Ammonia levels are 0-25 ppm (and have been for about a week). Nitrites and nitrates both zero. I have six balloon mollies in the tank. Nothing more and don't intend to get any more (they are all females).

Question is: how long is this cycling business going to take? I haven't had a nitrite spike yet (although am wondering whether this is on the way since my ammonia levels are staying down). I'm testing every second day.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to AA!!! Unfortunately, there isnt a 'set' timeframe for a fish-in cycle because everyone's tanks and water source and stocking (and on and on) are different. 6-8wks is average but many have had much longer cycles. It sounds like your doing a good job and staying on top of testing- keep up the good work! :)

jlk said:
Hi and welcome to AA!!! Unfortunately, there isnt a 'set' timeframe for a fish-in cycle because everyone's tanks and water source and stocking (and on and on) are different. 6-8wks is average but many have had much longer cycles. It sounds like your doing a good job and staying on top of testing- keep up the good work! :)

+1 to their not being a time frame for each tank. A member here and I started a fish in cycle (coincidently by the same reason and exact same day and our tanks weren't that far apart in size either), my tank cycled quicker than the other tank and her's is still going, we have been keeping in contact comparing our cycles and we think her tank is nearing being cycled (but still
Not cycled yet), and mine cycled 2-3 weeks ago. I've been able to successfully seed another tank by my first tank and it's going well so far :)

Arcticmoon said:
Hi Everyone,

I have been cycling my 70 litre tank for about six weeks. I've cycled with fish and haven't lost a single one. Anyway, I'm using an API liquid test kit. Ammonia levels are 0-25 ppm (and have been for about a week). Nitrites and nitrates both zero. I have six balloon mollies in the tank. Nothing more and don't intend to get any more (they are all females).

Question is: how long is this cycling business going to take? I haven't had a nitrite spike yet (although am wondering whether this is on the way since my ammonia levels are staying down). I'm testing every second day.

Thanks.

And to (try) and answer you question about not seeing nitrites: to me sounds like your close, I saw nitrites and not to long after my ammonia started dropping and eventually 0'ed out. As said already every tank is different. And don't be surprised if you see nitrates before nitrites, that can happen. The member I'm in contact with about our cycles is doing a fish in and she saw nitrates before nitrites, but regardless since ammonia is dropping I think that's a good sign :)

Thanks so much, both of you. I am STILL on ammonia only readings. No nitrites at all yet. I have put media in from my well established 3ft tank. Doesn't seem to have sped up the process. I am not doing water changes unless my readings are above 0.25ppm. I don't mind doing the changes, it's not a hard job, and I am more focused on not losing any fish :)

Back
Top Bottom