Daphnia, Planaria, and nematodes! ah!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10g planted freshwater aquarium in my dorm room, and I went home over the weekend. When I got back, I noticed a "trail" of sorts above the water line- like some little animal made it. After watching the water I noticed a whole bunch of these little creatures. From what I've looked up, I believe they're daphnia, and that they've bloomed because of leftover food. I've also seen some flatworms and nematodes along with them. I only have one fish in the tank, a baby polypterus bichir (yes, I know he will outgrow this tank, and I've got a 55 to move him to, this is just his baby tank) Anyway, If I get guppy fry to eat the daphnia then they'll get eaten by the bichir before they can even make a dent in the numbers. I really don't want to physically clean the tank, so what can I do? :confused:

I have a 10g planted freshwater aquarium in my dorm room, and I went home over the weekend. When I got back, I noticed a "trail" of sorts above the water line- like some little animal made it. After watching the water I noticed a whole bunch of these little creatures. From what I've looked up, I believe they're daphnia, and that they've bloomed because of leftover food. I've also seen some flatworms and nematodes along with them. I only have one fish in the tank, a baby polypterus bichir (yes, I know he will outgrow this tank, and I've got a 55 to move him to, this is just his baby tank) Anyway, If I get guppy fry to eat the daphnia then they'll get eaten by the bichir before they can even make a dent in the numbers. I really don't want to physically clean the tank, so what can I do? :confused:

How about a grown up guppy? or would the bichir have that as well? My guppies love daphina is why I suggest one

I'll give that a try, as the bichir is still young and tiny. And if not, I can always get more because they're cheap! Would the guppies also eat the flatworms?

you have to clean the tank at some time. get a gravel vac and just suck it out. hope you have plans on upgrading that 55 gallon also.

I'll give that a try, as the bichir is still young and tiny. And if not, I can always get more because they're cheap! Would the guppies also eat the flatworms?

My guppies try to eat my hand when it goes in the tank lol. They have also shown they love a suckle on a bristle of me bristle nose plec. I'm sure a worm is even more appealing. Though that might not answer your question either way lol My mollies also take the daphina. They are bigger and might stand up more to your fish. Though I have no idea what and how agressive a bichir is I'm just going on the mines bigger than yours mentality.

Can I really impact the population just by vaccuming? I've got a sand substrate in the tank, and the largest numbers seem to be at the top of the water. Also, I've cut back on feeding the bichir. Will that help?

now that I'm looking at them, they remind me of brine shrimp. I've fed my bichir frozen brine shrimp. The shrimp eggs wouldn't have survived freezing, right?

water changes will help you dont have ot get into the gravel / sand just start the suction and keep it close to the top so it sucks them up. brine shrimp needs salt to hatch for most part.

Alright, I'll vaccum and buy some guppies to get the ones I miss. There don't seem to be as many of them this morning.

If they are dieing off then you might have a problem with an ammonia spike. The best thing is a very deep vacuuming in your gravel.

Is there a way I can test for ammonia without a test kit? I don't have one, but the tank's nitrate and nitrite are both close to 0, and the pH is around 6

Most LFS will test your water. I will sometimes will take a sample in after I test just to make sure that it is alright.

Is there a way I can test for ammonia without a test kit? I don't have one, but the tank's nitrate and nitrite are both close to 0, and the pH is around 6
seems something to worry about me. a cycled tank wouldnt have 0 nitrate. on the other hand a cycled tank should have 0 nitrite. if you are showing any nitrite you prob had a ammonia spike. i would be doing some cleaning and 50% water change.

Thanks for the input so far. Well today I did a 50% pwc, and removed some decaying plant matter that I found behind some driftwood. I vacuumed the sand/gravel and wiped off the sides. I can still see those little buggers swimming around though. I haven't put any food into the tank since Tuesday, and today I'm going to feed the polypterus half of what I usually feed. I'm going home over the weekend and can probably bring back some guppy fry.
I also read that formaldehyde can take care of the critters. I've got a sensitive ich treatment with formaldehyde that I've had success with before in other tanks. So If they don't clear up over the weekend, would anyone be against/for it's use?

I did another water change on monday, but the problem seems to be worse. There's what I would guess as at least 100 per cubic cm. The fish seemed to be annoyed with them, he keeps brushing up against the plants, so I removed him and put him in a 5gal bucket. I'm thinking about trying some chemical treatment while I've got the polypterus removed. I attached a photo of the ones above the waterline. They look Y shaped. The planaria are also reproducing :confused:

Attachments

• DSC_2626.jpg
    DSC_2626.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2,820
I did another water change on monday, but the problem seems to be worse. There's what I would guess as at least 100 per cubic cm. The fish seemed to be annoyed with them, he keeps brushing up against the plants, so I removed him and put him in a 5gal bucket. I'm thinking about trying some chemical treatment while I've got the polypterus removed. I attached a photo of the ones above the waterline. They look Y shaped. The planaria are also reproducing :confused:

if you got the fish out of the tank why not strip tank now replace filter media and bleach everything?

If you have daphnia, the bichir will eat them. Planaria are usually indicative of a dirty tank, but are otherwise harmless.

The Bichir just seemed to be annoyed with them, so maybe they aren't daphnia. I'll probably just end up taking the tank apart and cleaning it. What's the best way to sterilize live plants and driftwood? :s

Back
Top Bottom