Dead Angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just noticed my poor angel fish is dead I have too the smaller one didnt make it they were the fist two in the tank when we got it a couple weeks ago i'm pretty upset about this and i wanted to get a opinion if maybe it has something asap so i can treat the tank i'm pretty new to having fish i had some when i was a teenager (tiger barbs silver dollars maybe millies and i think even angel fish) but anyays i took 2 pictues of the lil dead guy :( and he seems to have a silvery sheen to him way worse then when we got them now im not sure if this is his color or what now i know i should have a water testing kit actually i wanted to try to get one today instead of strips which i heard dont work very well well if you guys have any advice thanks ugh he was a waaay awesome fish too :(

Attachments

• 2011-05-12_17-41-44_167.jpg
    2011-05-12_17-41-44_167.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 2011-05-12_17-42-06_438.jpg
    2011-05-12_17-42-06_438.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 76
Hard to tell from those pictures. I can tell you that with fish that small, no matter who I have gotten them from I always lose one or two. I think that smaller fancy bred angels are just not that hardy any more. I am sorry for the loss.

I'm sorry.... Angels that small seem not to do very well. My LFS doesn't even have angels because of the poor stock.

I just noticed my poor angel fish is dead I have too the smaller one didnt make it they were the fist two in the tank when we got it a couple weeks ago

If you only set up the tank a few weeks ago, both fish probably died of ammonia poisoning because the tank wasn't cycled before adding fish.

You might want to read the article in the link below to get an idea of what happened and how cycle the tank before you add more fish.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

thanks for the concern guys :) i think im gonna have to go to petco for the master water testing kit and sadly i will have to wait till tomorrow cuz fiance didnt get out of work till pretty late so we did get these from someone that had the 2 angel fish for 4 months so the water should of been okay we did add more fish its a 20 gallon tall and we have 1 gaurami 4 tiger barbs (i saw i should have atleast 6) but they didnt seem to bother angel fish too much and algee eater 2 lil albino cat fish real small 3 siccor tails and a lil guy i forget the name of I hope thats not too many im getting used to how much to feed them all too and i think i might be going a lil overboard lol the gaurmi and angel fish beg though then they eat everything b4 the tiger and sissors get anything i'm getting a better varity of food soon i'm just hoping i dont have sick fish

thanks for the concern guys :) i think im gonna have to go to petco for the master water testing kit and sadly i will have to wait till tomorrow cuz fiance didnt get out of work till pretty late so we did get these from someone that had the 2 angel fish for 4 months so the water should of been okay we did add more fish its a 20 gallon tall and we have 1 gaurami 4 tiger barbs (i saw i should have atleast 6) but they didnt seem to bother angel fish too much and algee eater 2 lil albino cat fish real small 3 siccor tails and a lil guy i forget the name of I hope thats not too many im getting used to how much to feed them all too and i think i might be going a lil overboard lol the gaurmi and angel fish beg though then they eat everything b4 the tiger and sissors get anything i'm getting a better varity of food soon i'm just hoping i dont have sick fish

With a smile I say, could you sue some punctuation. This is hard to read.

A+ to you for buying an API liquid master test kit tomorrow.

so we did get these from someone that had the 2 angel fish for 4 months so the water should of been okay

Does this mean you bought the aquariums from someone who already had them running?

How often have you changed the water since you got it?

Did the people you bought it from ever change the water?

It is true you should keep tiger barbs in groups of six.

Also, you said the aquarium is a 20 high. That is not big enough for angel fish when they grow up. They may start small, but get huge as they grow.

Do let us know the test results tomorrow after you test.

And don't be tempted to buy more fish until you find your water parameters and figure out why these fish died :)

Hard to tell from those pictures. I can tell you that with fish that small, no matter who I have gotten them from I always lose one or two. I think that smaller fancy bred angels are just not that hardy any more. I am sorry for the loss.

Weird, I have two angelfish, one marble, one koi. They survived through some really crappy conditions, and they're only about 1'' - 1 1/2'' big!

Yeah, I kept Angels for years, and I always got several years out of them and I've always considered them very hardy.

They certainly survived my early years of bumbling through the learning process. And there was no internet back then, only LFS for advice, and it wasn't any better back then.

I have bought them from breeders, stores etc, I do not find the small ones very hardy at all anymore. I do much better with rams and apistos and other supposedly more delicate fish.

Back
Top Bottom