Dead Cherry Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
While feeding my cory cats, I noticed something red lying on the substrate. It was a cherry shrimp. His eyes had been eaten but otherwise he looked intact. He was very much dead. I'm still in shock. I haven't had these guys that long, maybe a week and a half, but I love them a lot and I was really upset to see him dead.
The other seven look fine. They're hanging out in the plants eating algae as usual. But I wanted to know why he was dead.
I tested my parameters and there's no ammonia or nitrite. Nitrate is at around 5 ppm. I can't think of anything I've done that would have killed him. Last week I dosed less than the recommended amount of Excel for the first time, and they seemed fine.
It doesn't look like he was having a molting complication, but I could be wrong. Another shrimp molted just fine a few days ago, and the water hardness is aqeduate.
Could he have just been old, or sick? I'm struggling to come up with a reason why he died. I don't think my cory cats could have killed him...
I included a picture. Maybe you guys can see something I didn't. The only things I noticed were his lack of eyes, a possibly injury on his underside, and he seems redder than he was before he died?
Sorry for the incoherent rant. Still quite upset about losing him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 70
i am sorry for your loss Dreaminginblue, this is quite a confusing situation it is a good possibility that the shrimp was just sick and died these things do happen sometimes i would recommend checking all your other fish for any signs of sickness just to make sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the reply. I will continue to keep an eye on them. So far everyone seems fine.

Back
Top Bottom