DHG not growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexgcraig

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, almost one year in here with a high tech planted 55 gallon, thanks to all of you for continued advice!

I'm having a problem growing dwarf hair grass and am a bit stumped as I shouldn't be having these problems as I have all the right equipment... Also I never lost the slight algea bloom and the UV green killing machine isn't really helping... From the pics you'll see the green! (Though keep in mind I do have an Iwagumi light)

Stats below and pics attached, any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Alex

- High light Build my Led 7000 Iwagumi spectrum, 75 degree angle, 6 hours light with 1 hour interruption @ 50%. I suspected this was too low and tried a few times raising to 60% so the light could reach the DHG at the bottom, but would then get grey beard algea everywhere...

- Daily PPS dosing, using Rivercat's method separating the Nitrates

- pressurized Aquatech CO2, 2-3 bubbles/second using Greenleaf's atomic diffuser

- ammonia zero, nitrites zero, nitrates 30-40 ppm, PH 7-7.2

- weekly 33% water change (NYC tap water!)

- KH color turned after 2 drops and GH after 4

(My cousin built the stand using the standard Aqueon stand and reclaimed wood google Fallen Industries, pretty cool!)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412432028.061922.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412432092.083063.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

High light Build my Led 7000 Iwagumi spectrum, 75 degree angle, 6 hours light with 1 hour interruption @ 50%. I suspected this was too low and tried a few times raising to 60% so the light could reach the DHG at the bottom, but would then get grey beard algea everywhere...

Meaning that you run your lights at 50% for 6 hours and have one hour with it off?
Do you have a drop checker?

That's right, too much or too little?

Haven't had the drop tester in there for a while, just put it in, will report back tomorrow morning with the results!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Drop checker in two days now, more blue than green, looks like the problem could have been insufficient CO2, i've been slowly increasing flow, you think 6 hours photoperiod will be sufficient? also can i just leave the drop checker in or does the fluid need to be replaced regularly?

Thanks again for your help!

That's a very small amount of DHG in a very large tank.....did you want to carpet that whole open area??

lol there were originally 4 pots and most died off... my understanding is that it grows fast so i didnt buy more... if indeed the problem was lack of CO2 i'll get more, thanks!

lol there were originally 4 pots and most died off... my understanding is that it grows fast so i didnt buy more... if indeed the problem was lack of CO2 i'll get more, thanks!

from my experience (though little) I suggest getting more lol. Im growing some in a 5 gallon tank right now and its true that when its conditions are met it grows like a weed.

Back
Top Bottom